Honored Contributor

Re: OK, This Creeped Me Out.

[ Edited ]

I have never liked the vacant stare of the American Girl dolls. Talk about creepy! They look like they have just been hit with the back of a frying pan! I have a friend who makes nightlights out of old doll heads...the light shines thought the eyes....how's that for nightmares?

Esteemed Contributor

I never cared about dolls, although Barbie is OK. 

One thing that is creepy is Mz IMac's avatar. Not the eye itself, but does it have to be blinking? It looks kind of evil, like the "evil eye" is watching people. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

House hunting is quite an adventure and full of turn offs. I like what someone said -- sometimes better to sell a vacant house. I remember seeing a walkout basement where the owner did taxidermy on the side. Yuck. And then there was the old guy with the clown and clown face collection in his den.

My friend, doll collector, had a shelf built around the top of her master bedroom and displayed her expensive doll collection. Her husband - high school sweethearts - just laughed at her excentricities. Her husband passes and years later, she dates a successful businessman. She came home from work to a note -- we're breaking up - your dolls freak me out and I counted 100 pairs of shoes in your closet. 

I guess excentricities aren't for everyone.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I have never liked the vacant stare of the American Girl dolls. Talk about creepy! They look like they have just been hit with the back of a frying pan! I have a friend who makes nightlights out of old doll heads...the light shines thought the eyes....how's that for nightmares?

Many young girls like their American Girl dolls.  My little GD is one of them.  There are all kinds of accessories to play with, and you can find affordable clothing on sale on Etsy.

She also loves her Legos and loves to draw and paint.  She can do amazing things with an Erector set.. A while back, we gifted her a large and fast little hand-controlled race car.  She had been upset that the one she had was too slow and couldn’t keep up with her brother’s and neighborhood boys’ car races. And she does take dancing lessons.  She loves to dance.

I played with dolls as a little girl, and some people think I am normal.  My DD played with dolls, had a big international doll collection, and grew up to be a research scientist.  She also took piano lessons from early grade school through high school and beyond.

Making fun of people who aren’t doing anything to hurt others makes me very, very sad.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I have never liked the vacant stare of the 

American Girl dolls. Talk about creepy! They look like they have just been hit with the back of a frying pan! I have a friend who makes nightlights out of old doll heads...the light shines thought the eyes....how's that for nightmares?

Gadzooks!  Does she make them for people she doesn't like?  Smiley Wink  Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

It's kind of weird but things like unmade beds, dirty clothes piled  on the floor, junk laying all over the floor, etc. bug me more.  I know it's the OCD in me but still.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel that way about huge wall mirrors and wall-to-wall carpet.  I have a small collection of the dolls I had as a kid--tucked away in a closet. 

I can say something about dolls in terms of my father's 20 year epic battle with Alzheimers, When he broke his hip he was in a nursing home for his last two years, and many of the women there loved to care for dolls. Their tenderness would bring tears to my eyes. If there is a person with that illness in the house, it could explain the dolls, though it wouldn't explain why they weren't put away for the real estate picture.

My favorite quote from my visits to my dad in the nursing home:  a lady who came right up to me one day and demanded,  "So just WHO is going to pay for all this!"  She accepted a hug as an answer. 

Anyway, dolls do soothe some Alzheimer's patients. 

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

Those creepy things are a whole collectible genre.  I hate them.  But would I pass over the house? No.

Consider them a creepy fetish and look at the house.  If there were whips and stuff would you pass over the house?  

Yes.  Yes I would.  Whatever the energy that might be left there from "creepy fetish" would not be something I would even consider looking at.  I've spent too many years dealing with antiques and what I've occasionally felt or couldn't come up with an answer  to consider buying a home with creepy attached to it.  Nope.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*