Regular Contributor

OK Ladies Need Your Help-- Carmine Free Eyeshadow

I finally realized that I'm allergic to Carmine (CI75470) which is in a lot of eyeshadows especially pink, purple and some browns. It imparts a red color to cosmetics. It is a pigment derived from the dried female insect Coccus cacti or cochineal. Disgusting right? If I use it my eyes become red & itchy & it takes weeks for my eyes to return to normal.  Now that I'm checking ingredients before I purchase, I noticed most eyeshadows like Laura Geller, Bare Minerals, Tarte, Korres etc. has this ingredient in it. My question is does anyone know of a brand without this ingredient in the eyeshadow that you could recommend? The only thing I saw was Jane Iredale which is pretty expensive at 59.00 for a palette. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: OK Ladies Need Your Help-- Carmine Free Eyeshadow

I think I remember reading that Josie Maran coconut eyeshadow-available at Sephora,not QVC, is carmine free.  I think it is more of a liquid.

Honored Contributor

Maybe try 100% Pure. I believe they use fruit pigments.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A brand called Lime Crime has published a past article titled 

"Lime Crime Vegan and Cruelty Free "Controversy" " which states the brand does not use carmine pigments in their products. They mention that they are committed to being a "fully-vegan line".

Lime Crime cosmetics are sold at Ulta.

@donniesmom 

Esteemed Contributor

Sure it does not need mentioning that lips are the big offender too.

Regular Contributor

Thank you all for your suggestions. Very happy Smiley Very Happy