Honored Contributor

Re: OK, GROUP- How many of you have started to DO IT?

Thanks for such a positive thread, @violann.

It isn't exactly a dream of mine, but on a smaller scale, I decided to start attending a class tonight.  A few years ago, I plunged back into auditing courses at a local university.  Took mostly history and literature classes virtually every semester.  They were great, but then I had one that was a bit of a dud, and I stopped going.

But it can be stultifying not to be in at least some kind of formal learning situation.  For me at least, since I require 'outside discipline' to keep at it consistently.

Now, this winter, for a variety of reasons, the last thing I want to do is start a course.  However, a lawyer who attends our church is starting a class tonight for anyone in the congregation who wants to explore where the law and theology intersect, through various hot-button issues.  Despite that fascinating subject matter, I'd rather pass-- but I determined that I will go.

So, small steps!

Trusted Contributor

@violann This is the first time I've seen this thread, but it pushed a button for me.  DH bought me a beautiful piano a few years back and I never had time to take lessons because we were working.   

But I have time now!

Respected Contributor

I'm dipping my toe into running. My fitness goal is to do a 5k in September. I'm starting with challenging myself to jog for 40 seconds on and off during my daily walks. We shall see......

Honored Contributor

@Oznell @bathina @VegasBusinessWoman - Wonderful potential here!! Once you!ve gotten started, keep your eyes open for interesting opportunities for expanding you start-ups.
Meeting new people, sharing new ideas, seeing yourself and your own "experience bank" in thought provoking ways, then seeing your initial efforts blooming in unintended, unexpected directions- that's what has happened for me.

JUMP IN!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Congratulations @violann.

Good luck with your new endeavors all. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I closed the 52-year-old family business last week.  All of the legalities will be completed this year, but it is over.  I am grateful for what it gave me, but I have wanted to end it for a long time.  Now, it is on to time for myself - personal care, completing the renovation of my house, travel ...  Somebody said she felt badly for me.  I told her all was well.  I want this.  Finally after all these years, this is for me.

Honored Contributor

@violann Unfirtunately I can prove you wrong.I have always wished I could sing but even in school they told me to just mouth the words.LOL.One day I was in big lots and a great song was playing.I was really happy and decided to sing along.A lady peaked around the corner and told me I should stop,I used to phone all of my fiends and coworkers to sing happy birthday but my boss told me to stop traumatizing people.Well in my next life I will sing.

Honored Contributor

My cherished dream was always to do more traveling when DH retired.  Now I find I'm quite content to stay home.  Even a cruise to Alaska seems too much of a hassle.  The past flights to Florida were a giant pain, I'd rather ride a Greyhound bus than fly again.  

Honored Contributor

I received a ukulele for Christmas. I only mentioned once that I was interested, and I wound up with one. Are there ukulele choirs like there are trombone choirs?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I don't think I ever stopped