Frequent Contributor

I am a boomer. I take no offense because in many, not all, but many cases the term is used appropriately.

From NBC - https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifestyle/ok-boomer-diving-generation-what-does-it-mean-ncna1077261

Ok, boomer - "They have close-minded opinions, are resistant to change — whether it’s new technology or gender inclusivity — and are generally out of touch with how their behaviors affect other people." 

I've seen too many examples of ok boomer behavior. Younger generations have a right to call us on it.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

The fact is we are all entitled to our opinions.

The truth is that many do not understand the meaning of that fact, and that is where the real issue becomes into play.

What is not comprehended and understood has too easily become a tag. So tag, we are all "it".

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

As a boomer it doesn't bother me at all. We older people call the younger generation "snowflakes" and criticize how they do this and that. If you can dish it out , you should be able to take it. 

Personally I have never referred to anyone as a snowflake or mocked another generation, and I hope I never hear myself do that.  I'm willing (and do) to show everyone respect and hope to receive the same back.  

However, if I am out in the world and someone said that to me because they didn't like something I had said or done, I'd have to respond.  Probably Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

Anyone hear this expression? I haven't had this said to me, but recently, in the middle of a discussion with my stepdaughter and her friends, I was told boomers should "sit down" since we've created existential problems the new generations have to solve.

It rocked me for a split second. I made sure she knew that she can thank generations who went before, for the rights she enjoys now. 

Anybody else?

Wow, I listen to talk radio in my car NPR National public radio.  I just heard this term this morning.  Your comment is exactly what I heard this morning.  

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

As a boomer it doesn't bother me at all. We older people call the younger generation "snowflakes" and criticize how they do this and that. If you can dish it out , you should be able to take it. 

@QVCkitty1 

'Snowflake' was never an age thing.

If one is to use slang...try to use it correctly, if at all.

Esteemed Contributor

The whole sit down on this story is just another way of intimidating someone to not talk. Doesn't work on me. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 

Often " snowflake "  is used to  describe someone who is too sensitive.  That seems to perfectly describe  people who are offended  by " Ok Boomer ."

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@bathina wrote:

Anyone hear this expression? I haven't had this said to me, but recently, in the middle of a discussion with my stepdaughter and her friends, I was told boomers should "sit down" since we've created existential problems the new generations have to solve.

It rocked me for a split second. I made sure she knew that she can thank generations who went before, for the rights she enjoys now. 

Anybody else?

@bathina    Really?  I would ask her what she thinks about racism and if it's okay in her opinion....because if it's not okay then how could it be okay to lump a generation together?  How is it any different by stereotyping individuals when they belong to a certain race, ethnic group, gender, religion or generation?  What am I missing?

Stop it, you are equating racism with OkBoomer ?  Over sensitive much. This post is embarrassing.

@QVCkitty1   Why is it okay to lump anyone who belongs to any group as all the same? That's what my point is....oh and since your tag line claims I'm entitled to my opinon well that's what it is....just my opinion that people should be taken as individuals.

You are entitled, and I'm entitled to be appalled by that opinion. 

@QVCkitty1   Sorry to hear that you're appalled that people should be taken and judged as individuals and not by the group they were born into.  

Honored Contributor

I see it as a backlash to using millennial pejoratively. I'm gen x and I'm just biding my time until the jokes start about us. 😂

I have grumbled about snowflake millennials myself so turnabout is fair play. 
Oh wait, am I using snowflake wrong? Buzz off

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 

Often " snowflake "  is used to  describe someone who is too sensitive.  That seems to perfectly describe  people who are offended  by " Ok Boomer ."

That's correct.....but age has nothing to do with any of this...

with either term.