Trusted Contributor

Re: OH , NO !! HSN now collects tax.

Just bought an Andrew Lessman product from HSN and wasn't charged tax.  I live in Texas.

Honored Contributor

I checked Andrew Lessman vitamins, and I put one in my cart.  I'd have been charged sales tax.

This sales tax may and hopefully will affect my future choices in purchases.  I'm so tired of being taxed out the wazoo.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Good4u wrote:

The ONLY shopping that I can still do WITHOUT paying state or local sales tax is through catologs.  Which is how I do most of my clothes shopping these days.  Though the shipping charges can be wide ranging and at times, has prevented me from purchases.  I also check for processing/handling fees which are hidden charges that I do not pay.

If the catalog has a presence in my state i.e. Lands'End, Talbots, etc..  I pay tax on online purchases.  I don't on Sundance catalog as we don't have Sundance in my state--at least I didn't the last time I purchased from them.  I wonder if I ordered something now-maybe I'd pay tax. 

Respected Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

I suppose the tax money is turned over to our individual states. I don’t believe Texas has state tax right?

Sales tax is not the same as state income tax. Texas absolutely collects sales tax.

Respected Contributor

@MW in Iowa wrote:

I am from Iowa , hence my user name , so it must be different for each state , when they implement it , but it will slow my purchaces when i see that added amount. Nothing against HSN , they are just following the guidelines.

It's been different because it was up to the states. Sales tax is established by each state and local jurisdictions can add onto that, so some cities may have a higher sales tax than others within the same state.Often they determined that if the company had a physical presence in the state, a brick and mortar shop of company offices, that company would have to collect taxes in that state.

For any state that did NOT collect sales tax from online merchants, the individuals making the purchase are supposed to keep track and pay every year. (Seriously. Almost everyone who has been making purchases online and not paying sales taxes directly to their state on those purchases has technically been breaking the law. But I've never heard of anyone getting busted over it.)

I learned all of this when Texas went after Amazon to start collecting taxes here over 10 years ago. You can read more about it here: https://smallbusiness.findlaw.com/business-taxes/do-you-have-to-pay-sales-tax-on-internet-purchases....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@winamac1 wrote:

I checked Andrew Lessman vitamins, and I put one in my cart.  I'd have been charged sales tax.

This sales tax may and hopefully will affect my future choices in purchases.  I'm so tired of being taxed out the wazoo.

@winamac1

What it shows in your cart is not necessarily what you end up paying. I live in Florida and the supplements always show estimated tax until I submit the order. Then there is no tax charged.

Honored Contributor

HSN has been collecting state tax for my state for years.

Super Contributor

@BdBettyB wrote:

@MW in Iowa wrote:

I just checked Evine it is still tax free , their shipping is crazy , but i will keep that in mind when i consider a purchace when Skinn has the anniversary shows , 2  items could be $14 just for shipping.

Evine rolled out sales tax for me at the beginning of June.  I never paid before that. 

I justified shipping w/Beekman 1802 because I didn't get charged tax! The last order I did have to pay tax so I didn't order very much. HSN will hopefully give free shipping when they appear in July on HSN.

Honored Contributor

I am now charged tax on all online orders for all 3 shopping sites.

Trusted Contributor

@soonersis wrote:

Just bought an Andrew Lessman product from HSN and wasn't charged tax.  I live in Texas.

I am writing an update to the above that I posted earlier.  The above product I purchased on July 9 was the presale of their TS they had today.  I decided to buy another one today as the price of this is to go up next year so I decided to purchase one to stock up.  When I went to check out I had been charged sales tax.  I've never been charged tax on supplements in Texas so I called customer service.  I was told that since QVC had purchased HSN they were now charging sales tax.  This is something I feared would happen when that sale was done.  I asked when this change was made and was told the first of July so I don't know why I wasn't charged tax on July 9. Also, I do not understand how they can charge tax on supplements in Texas. 

I did not make the purchase and went straight to the Pro Caps site where I got the same product at the same price and did not have to pay sales tax.  A little tip for those of you who would like to avoid paying taxes on these products, if it applies to all states, which I do not know. This move could cost HSN (aka QVC) many sales.