Honored Contributor

Re: OH NO! ALAN RICKMAN DIED FROM CANCER

@Laura14 wrote:

@Pearlee  Natalie Cole.  I was wondering who the third was going to be since these things come in threes.  I didn't want him!  Smiley Sad

@Laura14  Thanks for the reminder about Cole.

I always thought that was airplane accidents (back in the '60s) that came in 3s! 

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee  Don't say it!  Smiley Wink

I'm thinking I have to get out my Galaxy Quest DVD tonight.  I could use a laugh and that's one of Mr. Rickman's best.  By Grabthar's hammer....  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Very sad, such a great actor....

Respected Contributor

oh my dear Prof Severus Snape -  a complicated and tortured man, turned hero in the Harry Potter saga -  after whom HP named one of this children.  great actor.

Honored Contributor

The following link has a better article about Rickman, including this from J.K. Rowling:

Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowlingtweeted that “there are no words to express how shocked and devastated I am to hear of Alan Rickman’s death. He was a magnificent actor (and) a wonderful man.”

http://pagesix.com/2016/01/14/british-actor-alan-rickman-dead-at-69/?_ga=1.180939108.2109775645.1439...

Honored Contributor

I have to say I'm shocked at this news.  I honestly thought it must be a mix-up with the news about David Bowie.  Both of these men seem to have kept their battle with cancer very private.

Alan Rickman was one of my all-time favorite actors.  Several years ago I paid a lot of money to get a copy of the discontinued dvd "Truly, Madly, Deeply".  I am so glad I got it.

I've loved him in whatever part he played; truly one of the great actors of all time.

Respected Contributor

12509484_1104115152953517_354636810363707761_n.jpg

Honored Contributor

Daniel Radcliffe left a kind remembrance on Google Plus: 

Alan Rickman is undoubtedly one of the greatest actors I will ever work with. He is also, one of the loyalest and most supportive people I've ever met in the film industry. He was so encouraging of me both on set and in the years post-Potter. I'm pretty sure he came and saw everything I ever did on stage both in London and New York. He didn't have to do that. I know other people who've been friends with him for much much longer than I have and they all say "if you call Alan, it doesn't matter where in the world he is or how busy he is with what he's doing, he'll get back to you within a day".

People create perceptions of actors based on the parts they played so it might surprise some people to learn that contrary to some of the sterner(or downright scary) characters he played, Alan was extremely kind, generous, self-deprecating and funny. And certain things obviously became even funnier when delivered in his unmistakable double-bass.

As an actor he was one of the first of the adults on Potter to treat me like a peer rather than a child. Working with him at such a formative age was incredibly important and I will carry the lessons he taught me for the rest of my life and career. Film sets and theatre stages are all far poorer for the loss of this great actor and man.
Valued Contributor

Galaxy Quest and The Song of Lunch, a dramatized poem, done with Emma Thompson, are 2 of my favorite Rickman pieces.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

My most favorite role of his was Colonel Brandon in Sense & Sensibility.  The way he loved Marianne was so romantic it touched my heart.

He will be missed.

Do you know which version he was in?  I'm looking for a DVD of that.  There are quite a few versions.  Was it for TV?