Honored Contributor

OCTOBER 16 IS EUGENE O'NEILL'S BIRTHDAY

timeline-done.jpg__2000x1176_q85_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg

Look at those plump, dimpled little hands.

Born October 16, 1888.  Even as a tiny tot, the future magnificent American playwright had his famously wary expression.  His father-- a conflicted, alcoholic, well-known actor of the period.  His mother--  a fragile, fantasy-prone beauty and morphine addict.   Both, along with his brother, provided a basis for indelible characters in his work.

D1827-2.jpg

A reminder of a few of his unforgettable plays:

Beyond the Horizon    Pulitzer Prize, 1920

Anna Christie      Pulitzer Prize  1922       

The Emporer Jones

Desire under the Elms

Strange Interlude    Pulitzer Prize 1928

Mourning becomes Electra

A Moon for the Misbegotten

Long Day's Journey into Night     Pulitzer Prize (awarded long after the play was written), 1957

The Iceman Cometh

More Stately Mansions

2299-2.jpg

My favorites of filmed adaptations of his plays are "Long Day's Journey Into Night"  and  "Mourning Becomes Electra".    Highly recommend.   Be prepared, both are devastating emotional workouts!

Honored Contributor

Re: OCTOBER 16 IS EUGENE O'NEILL'S BIRTHDAY

We were fortunate to have been able to see "The Ice Man Cometh" many years ago. The cast for this production was just brilliant: Jason Robards, Barnard Hughes, and Donald Moffat -- three unbelievably talented men.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Thank you so much for sharing this information. Eugene O'Neill was a most valued playwright.

Honored Contributor

Happy Birthday to a genius of writing.  I always admired and respected authors and those with artistic talents.  O'Neill certainly proved to be one of the greats in his field.  I have seen Long Day's Journey into Night and it was an emotional experience which shows how brilliant O'Neill was as a writer. His many works are , to say the least,an impressive collection.

We should celebrate all great writers and artists who have contributed to our culture and given us gifts of their talents.  Thanks for the post, Oznell!

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @spiderw, well put.    O'Neill has more than stood the test of time, and deserves celebration and honor as one of our great illuminating artists.