Honored Contributor

Re: OAKLAND FIRE REPORT FROM THE SCENE

[ Edited ]

More infromation about Almena and his wife, by her father, who staged an intervention, to rescue his grandchildren

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4003448/Deadly-warehouse-fire-Operator-accused-ignoring-safe...

Honored Contributor

So many lies. So many crocodile tears. So much BS.

I wish the press would NOT focus on the scumbags and the slumlord and instead. channel their energy to the Good Works being done by the community and to help the families who have lost someone. Do this until ALL the facts are in, ALL the bodies are recovered/identified and then report on everything else.

Of course, that won't sell papers or air time, now will it.

Honored Contributor

The mother of one of the young victims was at the scene of the fire yesterday, crying. A reporter asked if she had lost someone there and she showed him the last text from her daughter. 

"I love you, Mom. I'm going to die."

Unbearable.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

So many lies. So many crocodile tears. So much BS.

I wish the press would NOT focus on the scumbags and the slumlord and instead. channel their energy to the Good Works being done by the community and to help the families who have lost someone. Do this until ALL the facts are in, ALL the bodies are recovered/identified and then report on everything else.

Of course, that won't sell papers or air time, now will it.

@SahmIam

That's exactly what the local reporters are doing, I wrote about it here, in detail, yesterday. 

Honored Contributor

An 11th grader from Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts is among the confirmed dead in the Ghost Ship warehouse fire. His name is Draven McGill and ABC7 News talked to his closest friends, including one who was with him that night and managed to escape.

Seventeen-year-old Draven McGill was a member of the vocal ensemble at the Ruth Asawa School of the Arts in San Francisco.

http://abc7news.com/news/students-honor-memory-of-sf-teen-killed-in-oakland-fire-/1641573/

draven

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Noel, the news reporter said murder charges are being considered.  I don't know if the charges are more harsh for minors perishing in the fire.  Hopefully, so.

I've wondered if there were children living in the RVs or other places in this warehouse.  Luckily, they would've been on the first floor and gotten out in time.

Will other warehouse landlords/slumlords heed any lessons from this tragedy? 

We shall see.

Or hopefully, tenants of these deathtraps will realize the dangers of living there.

And the unsanitary living conditions, alone.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Hi Noel, the news reporter said murder charges are being considered.  I don't know if the charges are more harsh for minors perishing in the fire.  Hopefully, so.

I've wondered if there were children living in the RVs or other places in this warehouse.  Luckily, they would've been on the first floor and gotten out in time.

Will other warehouse landlords/slumlords heed any lessons from this tragedy? 

We shall see.

Or hopefully, tenants of these deathtraps will realize the dangers of living there.

And the unsanitary living conditions, alone.

Hi @Lucky Charm

Yes, it came out yesterday that the Ghost Ship is now considered a crime scene and possible charges include manslaughter and murder.  I heard it again last night, murder.  They are not going to take this lightly.

The children on the scene were the three children of Derrick Ion Almena, and they were taken away from him when authorities found out how they were living.  Now they are living with the mother in a hotel.

You're right, there are other situations like this in warehouses.  Bureaucracy moves slowly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7  It's good to know that local news media are doing that. I should have clarified as I was referring to the rest of the US/overseas.

There was an article that came across my phone last night that a councilwoman (?), investigator (?); I honestly do not remember but it WAS a woman who went on the record to say she wasn't sure that any laws had actually been broken. This was part of the article that also stated the warehouse was now being considered a crime scene.

I sincerely hope that she (whomever she was) is able to say the opposite in the days to come.

Editing to add: among my teenage son and his friends, social media is saying that many who died did NOT live there but were there for the band. One of my sons friends is in the art/music scene and it has come out that he, at 16 and in 11th grade (like the young man who died) has attended many a "under the radar" music event held in places that are NOT zoned for such. This event has had a profound effect on him as well as the art/music/theatre group at our high school. 

There but for the grace of God......

Valued Contributor

Honored Contributor

@tennpal15 Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. Him, his actions, EVERYTHING about him and his wife. Shame on TODAY for capitalising on such a horrific situation. Makes me sick.