Honored Contributor

Re: OAKLAND FIRE REPORT FROM THE SCENE

Its hard to believe the city allowed people to live and work in this death trap,  let alone have musical events.    On the surface it appears the city was extremely negligent in not closing this down long ago.   Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen and very sad for all evolved. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@ritasNo1Fan wrote:

Rent $$ is unreal here in the Bay Area.  Unreal.  It all comes down to greed and building owners.  Makes me SICK.

@ritasNo1Fan@ @Noel  I disagree; I'd say it all comes down to a negligent building inspection agency.   Not just negligent but criminally negligent.  Get ready for the lawsuits. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Derrick Ion is really Derrick Ion Almena and has a criminal record including receiving stolen goods. It is said he made anyone living there do work for him and refused to share his warehouse toilet facilities with them.  He is believed to be in hiding at this time.

KEEP IN MIND:

Early information can sometimes be wrong.  If I find that out, I will let people know. 

Respected Contributor

this just breaks my heart.  between sherri pappini and this awful catastrophe it really is a blight on n. calif.  i love it here and i hate that we have these truly terrible things happen to such innocent people.  my prayers go out to all.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ladyroxanne wrote:

this just breaks my heart.  between sherri pappini and this awful catastrophe it really is a blight on n. calif.  i love it here and i hate that we have these truly terrible things happen to such innocent people.  my prayers go out to all.   

We are a big state @ladyroxanne  They sure are tragedies Smiley Sad

It's wonderful that so many of us care so much.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7

i totally agree with you.  we live in one of the largest economies in the world  and have a lot to be proud of.  it's just horrible that these tragedies happen to the most innocent. it shows our state not in the way it truly is and it saddens me.  we live in a state that has their problems, but this is just too much,  it may be a reflection on our times.  i hope not.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In most of California housing is a premium, rents are sky. In the bay Area 3,000 a month rent for an apartment is norm.  Unfortunately people live in places like this all the time, and are charged by the square foot, often without bathrooms and kitchens.  Then people improvise, and it is an accident waiting to happen!

I am not saying authorities are negligent, but many times they are because of lack of man power to do the job properly. They often have a few people to serve massive areas. Many were let go around 2008 and city employees were let go as well, hours dropped and jobs modified. Skelton crews were left, and some jobs disappeared.  Jobs were combined, deleted or duties revised.  In some cities you had The newest hire building code workers let go, and someone from another dept given the job with city seniority, but no building code  experience.  Employment is back up, and jobs can't be filled fast enough here, but it will take a while.  Mean while........

the problemwith housing here, especially  rentals,  is building officials take top priority cases first.  What is top priority? Probably  something that is already on fire.  Seriously, building inspectors are always inspecting new builds.  We are in a building frenzy So, new builds get priority because the builders have deadlines. new builds bring in tax money.   If people report bad buildings, they do inspect them, but often  not to the full extent they need to be inspected.   People have to be given notice, the landlord time to respond. It is a legal highway, with paperwork longer than the 101.

I am not making excuses.  I am as appalled as everyone else, and just mortified at this tragedy. But I am explaining some of the legal and navigational woes some of these buildings bring.  9 times out of ten the owner can let a place sit and rot as long as they like. Mean while someone makes use of them

i am on the dreaded iPad that I hate.  I don't know why sentences randomly appear where I didn't put them.  I have tried to correct this post, but am giving up.

Respected Contributor

goodpost @shoekitty

very informative.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The recovery work has stopped as of late last night.  One of the walls is leaning in and in danger of collapse.  Teams are working on shoring it up.

One of the victims recovered is a teenage high school student from San Francisco.

The number of victims has been updated to 36. 

Honored Contributor

That place was a fire trap, i simply do not think the city did what they should had done, i feel the blame for this is there.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.