Respected Contributor

Re: O.J. Simpson up for parole tomorrow (July 20, 2017)

@WenGirl42 wrote:

His sentence was for 9-33 years, and he's served 9, so I would have no problem seeing him paroled for his convicted crime if that's the board's decision.  I wouldn't think he should get out early, but my understanding is that it's completely up to them at this point how many years past 9 he serves.  And they should make that decision the same way they always do, regardless of his celebrity or past.

I heard the same thing today on the radio. It was said that Nevada's system is that the judge sets the time for the crime. This judge said 9 to 33 years, I believe. Then their system leaves it up to the parole board to decide how long the sentence actually last based on good time served and the severity of the crime. I also hear a pundit say that if this exact crime had been committed by anyone besides OJ, it would have been a year with time off for good behavior.
Honored Contributor

@cody2 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Kato Kaelin said OJ, if released, can not stay in his guest house.  He thinks OJ should go into hiding.

I saw an interview with Kato in the past year or so. He said that as time has passed, he has come to the conclusion that OJ did, IN FACT, commit the double murder. With the releases of OJ...maybe it is Kato that should go into hiding. Smiley Sad

@cody2  IMO Kato knew that as soon as O.J. bumped into the air conditioning unit behind Kato's place - the thump thump thump - the night of the murders that O.J. had committed them.  

Respected Contributor

Lisa Bloom said that OJ better not do anything in public that would cause the Parole Board to revoke his parole.   She held  up a cell phone and said all eyes will on OJ and they'll be ready to record him.  

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Kato Kaelin said OJ, if released, can not stay in his guest house.  He thinks OJ should go into hiding.

I saw an interview with Kato in the past year or so. He said that as time has passed, he has come to the conclusion that OJ did, IN FACT, commit the double murder. With the releases of OJ...maybe it is Kato that should go into hiding. Smiley Sad

@cody2  IMO Kato knew that as soon as O.J. bumped into the air conditioning unit behind Kato's place - the thump thump thump - the night of the murders that O.J. had committed them.  

I suspect you are correct. But if I recall correctly, he continued to live at OJ's for quite a while after the crimes and when called to testify did not say anything that would reflect badly on the case. I believe he was a hostile witness, as they say. I read a few books including Mark Furman's, Marcia Clark's and the other lead prosecution lawyer. But I have forgotten some of the details.
Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I agree that Kato knew it from the beginning. There were many casualties in that trial and unfortunately Kato was one of them. I think he desperately tried so hard to be as honest and fair as he could be when giving his answers for the prosecution, but got called out by Marcia Clark as a hostile witness for his troubles. 

He would pause a lot when trying his best to answer questions and that was seen as being scatter brained and ditzy when it was clear to me he was just doing his best to give honest answers. 

I even heard a male juror opine today that they discounted ALL of his testimony because of the way he came across....just like they discounted all of the rest of the trail of evidence that led directly to O.J. No one else, just O.J. 

Esteemed Contributor

@MaRina wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@MaRina wrote:

I think he'll be released from prison. Sure hope I don't see him plastered all over the news living it up, playing golf etc. 

Done seeing and hearing anything about this evil soul. 

@MaRina  Chin up-he may still go out trying to find the "real killers".

@Cakers3 you are so right BUT he doesn't need to look far! 

He only needs to look in the mirror.

Honored Contributor

@jackiejenny wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I agree that Kato knew it from the beginning. There were many casualties in that trial and unfortunately Kato was one of them. I think he desperately tried so hard to be as honest and fair as he could be when giving his answers for the prosecution, but got called out by Marcia Clark as a hostile witness for his troubles. 

He would pause a lot when trying his best to answer questions and that was seen as being scatter brained and ditzy when it was clear to me he was just doing his best to give honest answers. 

I even heard a male juror opine today that they discounted ALL of his testimony because of the way he came across....just like they discounted all of the rest of the trail of evidence that led directly to O.J. No one else, just O.J. 

@jackiejenny  That wasn't my impression of his testimony.  Mine was that he was trying to be evasive - to not commit perjury yet not get his friend and benefactor O.J. into too much trouble with his testimony.  

Honored Contributor

Not surprisingly, the Brown and Goldman family had the same issue with OJ's statement to the parole board that he hasn't had much "conflict" in his life that I had.

This from the NY Post (with Fred's error - Nicole was not OJ's first wife):

"He [Fred Goldman] and his daughter Kim, who also appeared on the show, were  just as disgusted as sister Tanya Brown over Simpson’s comments to a parole board that he “basically spent a conflict-free life.”

“Conflict-free except for the wife beating of his first wife [sic] Nicole,” Fred Goldman said. “He’s hardly conflict-free.”

Fred also said that OJ should not be free to walk "among decent people."

Honored Contributor

@cody2 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

I saw a quick statement about how the the families of the murdered victims will get millions from him.  The statement assumed he will try for some tv program or new kind of tv fame.  I doubt he will ever get out from under his financial burden. 

I totally don't understand how they won that one since he was not convicted of the murder he no doubt did. 

@bonnielu  Are you talking about the civil case?  Civil courts have far less requirements for proof of guilt-more of a preponderance of the evidence.  Plus evidence excluded in the criminal trial was allowed in the civil trial.  The number of jurors needed to find him guilty in the civil trial was only 9 out of 12.

Since his pension could not be touched in the civil case but there was a $$ award to the families, they might just yet receive something out of his other sources.  He has property income and royalties from his days in Hollywood although I believe one home went to foreclosure.

I just remember when he was going to civil court, carrying a box, and being asked what was in it he said "Money" and laughed.  Real piece of work, that one.

Hi @Cakers3 it is nice to see you. I heard today that he also has money coming from his actor's membership, whatever the heck that is called...can't be touched either. It is protected like his NFL money. I wouldn't bet the farm on it but that is what I heard. They also said that his youngest daughter owns a home in Fla. where he will be living. He said all he wants to do now is Golf and spend time with his family.

@cody2  Hi cody-it's so good to see you too!!!  Sorry I missed you!!  I do hope you will stop by more often.

Heh-OJ is good at golf-that's all he did after Nicole and Ron, too.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh