Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nylons or Leggings Please!!

@lulu2 wrote:

To those of you who think pantyhose look old fashion, I think bare faux tan legs look ridiculous with business or dressy attire.  I'm all for bare legs in the summer with sandals. 

Those that complain pantyhose are uncomfortable, you are wearing the wrong size.  A good quality silky pair of hose feel senuous. They make your legs look nicer and your shoes fit so much better. (no ugly blisters)

Duchess Kate has reintroduced many ladies to pantyhose.

Some brands even help with circulation in the leg!  There are cheap ones, not so cheap ones, expensive ones and uber expensive hosiery.  Therefore, hosiery ain't going out of style no time soon, thank goodness!

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

To those of you who think pantyhose look old fashion, I think bare faux tan legs look ridiculous with business or dressy attire.  I'm all for bare legs in the summer with sandals. 

Those that complain pantyhose are uncomfortable, you are wearing the wrong size.  A good quality silky pair of hose feel senuous. They make your legs look nicer and your shoes fit so much better. (no ugly blisters)

Some brands even help with circulation in the leg!  There are cheap ones, not so cheap ones, expensive ones and uber expensive hosiery.  Therefore, hosiery ain't going out of style no time soon, thank goodness!

We all know that everything with fashion goes in and out of style.  Gen X and Gen Y don't wear nylons, it's a generational thing, no bid deal.

I'm not real fond of the bare leg look either, it's just what it is for now.  Dress however you wish, there are no rules.

Esteemed Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

Unless it's summer and/or I'm wearing sandals, I never stopped wearing pantyhose.  If you don't wear them because they're "old fashioned" or you don't like the look, that's understandable, but I don't know why people say they are uncomfortable yet they wear tights.  I even sometimes wear pantyhose under a pair of dress pants - no VPL Smiley Happy

I've done that for years.  Especially when I worked.  Don't do it under slacks too much anymore unless I want a bit of support in the tummy area on that day.  LOL.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

We all know that everything with fashion goes in and out of style.  Gen X and Gen Y don't wear nylons, it's a generational thing, no bid deal.

I'm not real fond of the bare leg look either, it's just what it is for now.  Dress however you wish, there are no rules.

I don't see as a generational thing.  My daughter wears hosiery (of course she's lot younger than me). So....Younger women in offices I worked wore hoisery.  

*Call Tyrone*
Valued Contributor

It gets cold in New York,

Cover the legs ladies unless you live in a warm climate.  If your legs need help cover them with nylon.  I have seen some that have a little extra pounds to share wearing leggings with a small shirt.  You can see all this is where control is needed.  If it would be okay with grandmother then you can leave the house if not time to put something suitable on.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

I would never wear pantyhose again either.  They've been out for years, I never see them for sale.

I think it's basically, but not always, a generational thing.

Every grocery store or drugstore I've shopped in sell pantyhose.  So do department stores, mart stores and shoe stores.

Don't you live in San Francisco?  Stores must sell pantyhose.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@muttmom wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I would never wear pantyhose again either.  They've been out for years, I never see them for sale.

I think it's basically, but not always, a generational thing.

Every grocery store or drugstore I've shopped in sell pantyhose.  So do department stores, mart stores and shoe stores.

Don't you live in San Francisco?  Stores must sell pantyhose.

@muttmom

Not any store I see, I was looking for them a couple of weeks ago.  I'm guessing you could find them in the financial district, but I don't really know.

I don't know anyone who still wears pantyhose, a lot of women wear slacks or jeans, depending on their job.

We are inundated with millennial techies and have more than 25 companies including FaceBook and Twitter.  Mark Zuckerberg is building his home here.  They don't dress up, it's jeans and whatever.  Maybe it's regional.

Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

The great panyhose debate --- LOL!  

I don't know if my opinion has something to do with my age --- it probably does --- I am 64.  I grew up in a time when we all wore hosiery of some kind.  When I first started wearing hosiery as a young girl, we had to wear a garter belt and stockings. Now that --- was not fun!  And people still wore girdles!!!!  

As time went on we got to wear panty hose and we thought they were just the bomb!  And when I got my first pair of L'eggs -- I was tickled pink!!!!

I always wore hosiery of some type with my dresses and skirts.  When I wear pants, it was/is with knee-highs or trouser socks.  I find that shoes feel more comfortable to me with some sort of hosiery.

Don't get me wrong -- in summer it feels great to wear sandals and no hose.  But I pretty much always still wore hose with a dress or skirt in the office -- sheer hosiery -- unless I wore a very casual -- bo-ho type of dress or skirt which nearly went to the floor, and I was wearing sandals.

Now, I can't wear dresses and skirts because I always have to wear sneakers due to  an ankle problem.  

Where I work no one wears hose in the summer.  I will give my honest opinion here.  There are a few ladies who look very nice without hose.  The rest --- let's just say --- not so great! And not looking so professional either.  And this has nothing to do with whether the skin is tanned or not.  I, myself, am very fair and cannot tan, so I am not picking on skin tone.

As for winter and hose or no-hose, if you feel like you are comfortable without -- then go for it.  Personally, I would rather be a little more warm and protected.

I still say when there is a fancy occasion or a more conservative event, that some type of hosiery is the better choice.  But then again, that's just me.

Whatever everyone feels comfortable in and works for them!!!  

@AngelPuppy1

I still remember the day that my mother took me to buy my first pair of sheer stockings.  

This is the brand of hosiery I wore as a young girl in the 1960s:

912624713_tp.jpg

Respected Contributor

I recently read with Princess Katherine wears nylons and she is quite chic.The article says the hose make her look finished.  I recently went to a wedding and wore nylons. I cannot do bare legs, I am 58 years old and my legs have veins. I have to wear hose. 

Honored Contributor

@GATORGIRL

Awww, that's so nice that you actually remember that!  You have a great memory!  I really don't remember what brand I first got.  I wish I did.  

Back in the "old days" when you got a "good" pair of hosiery, it was a real event.  The hoisery was placed nicely in a pretty box and they were swaddled in tissue paper!  It made you feel so special and grown up!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin