Contributor

Re: Nurse who had Ebola asks bridal shop for refunds

On 11/28/2014 terrier3 said:
On 11/25/2014 Lynnj said:She was in the shop, sick, trying on dresses. Here's a piece of the article from CNN, dated 10/17//14. The shop owner needed to do what was necessary to make it safe for future customers. this included closing the shop for weeks while it was cleaned, and all of the dresses cleaned as well. ------ 'Ill but clinically stable' There are contradictory reports about how Vinson was feeling during her time in Ohio. Her uncle Lawrence Vinson told CNN's Don Lemon that his niece felt fine during her trip, and in fact didn't feel sick until waking up in Texas on Tuesday morning. But a federal official with direct knowledge of the case told CNN's Elizabeth Cohen that Vinson said she felt fatigue, muscle ache and malaise while she was in Ohio and on the flight home. The prospect that she might have felt sick during her time there has led health authorities to reach out to more people, from those on her initial Dallas-to-Cleveland flight to those she interacted with in Ohio.

Feeling fatigue won't infect anyone.

It's not as if she got sick all over the shop and the dresses.

It doesn't matter if she didn't infect anyone, the shop owner still lost money due to the public's irrational fears over Ebola which kept them from entering the Bridal Shop.

Contributor

On 11/28/2014 terrier3 said:
On 11/26/2014 LipstickDiva said:

That shop had to be closed for 3 weeks because of this debacle. And when the shop did re-open, she opened with a 60% off sale just to get people in the shop. So yes very easily she lost tens of thousands of dollars.

She had to have a commercial company come in to clean. Afterwards, she was getting calls from people asking if it was safe to come in to the shop, if there was a chance they could catch Ebola, if the Ebola virus was still in her shop and on and on.

The last I knew, there was no insurance that would pay for this cleaning. The owner is out all the money for the cleaning and for the store being closed for 3 weeks.

Who said the shop HAD to be closed for 3 weeks?

Did they close down the airport terminal for 3 weeks? Or anywhere else she may have been? Why the commercial cleaning service? Ebola can't live outside of a body for very long...did they think to check with their Health Department???

Just goes to show how hysterical people got over this...

The doctor in NYC that was infected also created a loss for businesses. The bowling alley closed down and had to be disinfected as well as the deli he visited, etc.

Also the airlines disinfected the plane and stripped carpeting all because of "low hysterical people got over this".

Contributor

On 11/25/2014 dex said: I feel sorry for the shop owner because I am sure her business has suffered.I hope that Amber Has a beautiful wedding and is happy ever after but she should forget about the deposit.I am sure that she has received many blessings since she has been through so much and this could be a nice act of kindness to the shop owner.

Well said.

Not sure why a few have no sympathy for the shop owner. I support small businesses and have a lot of compassion for the store owner that lost money and just because I feel this way doesn't mean I don't appreciate the nurse's service or the dangerous situation she was in.

Super Contributor

On 11/25/2014 chrystaltree said:

I'm not sure why people still insist that this particular nurse did something wrong. Or perhaps, I do know why. Even the CDC apologized and admitted that she asked for permission to travel and they approved her travel. So, she's a villain and her fellow nurse is a hero...why? Even the selfish, self centered nurse who wouldn't inconvenience herself by accepting quarantine doesn't get the same treatment. Not to mention the doctor who went bowling before his symptoms showed. So, she wanted her $500 refund back. I don't think she even thought about the financial hit the shop took because of her diagnosis. I think the amount was so small and insignificant, it never ocurred to her that shop owner would object. No, she did not think that one through. I don't know if the free ring is even true but it Zales did give her ring, they are to be congratulated for it. If she does indeed end up with a free wedding, she deserves. She volunteered for that infections disease unit, she risked her life. She battled back from a deadly disease. On top of that, she had to withstand weeks of public condemnation and anger and insults....for nothing. Absolutely nothing. I hope she has her dream wedding!

Well said...my feelings exactly. She had good intentions, even though she did not think it through. Her good intentions just backfired.

Yes, she knew the store had taken a financial hit, and she only thought by taking her business elsewhere, she would be helping the store. That does not mean she has a sense of "entitlement" or lacks common sense. I cannot believe some of the mean comments people are making. We are all human and make mistakes...only hers was very public.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

Personally, I don't believe her story about the Hasmat workers taking her engagement ring. No other victims lost rings. She say her ring was in a jewelry box in her room that they took away. Why wouldn't it be on her hand? Seriously?? Hasmat workers just take all your valuables and toss them?! That makes no sense to me.

As for the bridal shop, I don't believe they owe her anything. She put them at risk through her own actions. As a medical worker, if I even suspected I might have Ebola I would immediately quarantine myself. I wouldn't be calling a CDC hotline to check whether or not I should travel.

Contributor

On 11/28/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:

Personally, I don't believe her story about the Hasmat workers taking her engagement ring. No other victims lost rings. She say her ring was in a jewelry box in her room that they took away. Why wouldn't it be on her hand? Seriously?? Hasmat workers just take all your valuables and toss them?! That makes no sense to me.

As for the bridal shop, I don't believe they owe her anything. She put them at risk through her own actions. As a medical worker, if I even suspected I might have Ebola I would immediately quarantine myself. I wouldn't be calling a CDC hotline to check whether or not I should travel.

And now she wants her money back for the dress. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Honored Contributor

On 11/28/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:

This woman had the courage to care for a dying man with a horrible infectious disease.

I believe she deserves for us to all cut her a little slack. The second nurse also was in the general public for days too. They were following their hospital's instructions at the time.

Why is she being dumped on????