Honored Contributor

Re: Nurse to appear on GMA tomorrow

As long as protocols are being ""re-evaluated and modified"" perhaps the prudent thing would be to honor the self quarantine and not act like you're above it all.

Respected Contributor

On 10/29/2014 GrettaGarbled said:
On 10/29/2014 kittymomNC said:
On 10/29/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

First, she's had blood tests that so far have come back negative for Ebola. Second, even if she does have it, again, it is contagious only when symptoms are present and only through bodily fluids contact. Even people who lived in the same home as the man who died from Ebola in Dallas did not contract the disease.

These workers ARE following medical protocol, they are fighting against non-medical protocals put in place.

Buck-i-Nana, you will be butting your head up against a brick wall here. It seems that no one is taking into account that these medical professionals have been going back and forth to Africa for years fighting and dealing with other outbreaks of Ebola, and no one here was ever infected when they returned. No one even took any notice of it. It has only been since the outbreak got so big over there, and Dr. Brantley came back, the publicity started, and now there is the public outcry, disrespect for the doctors and nurses, and fear mongering, even by some political officials, who should know better. I know you are trying to bring some reason to this very contentious subject, but I have given up. Thank you for continuing to try.

Totally agree kittymom. These brave volunteers have been doing God's work for years and no one noticed. We have one doc who comes back and gets sick and suddenly it's a huge issue.

November 4th is right around the corner, coincidentally.

Why you making this political? This effects everyone unless you know something that we don't and would like to share with the class Ms Gretta?{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Respected Contributor

On 10/29/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 10/29/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said: <p class="quote_author">So, suppose she develops symptoms while she's defying the 21 day quarantine. Then EVERYONE she's been in contact with will have to be tracked.

That's really helpful of her.

Only anyone in direct unprotected close contact with her, close enough to be touched by enough bodily fluid to transfer the virus, from the time the symptoms appear will have to be monitored, not everyone who had contact from day one.

These people will still have to be located and questioned and then hope that they tell the truth.

How about minimizing the risk?

What the heck is so dreadful about doing the right thing, which would be SELF QUARANTINE FOR 21 DAYS AS IS RECOMMENDED BY THE CDC?

That is not recommended by the CDC. Self-monitoring is the recommendation. As soon as a temp is noted, then quarantine.

These people took time away from their paid employment to volunteer their efforts to combat Ebola. Now you expect them to take another 21 days unpaid? Could you afford to do that? They are non-contagious, even if they are incubating the disease, if they are not showing any symptoms.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/29/2014 MomTo2Dogs said:

First, she's had blood tests that so far have come back negative for Ebola. Second, even if she does have it, again, it is contagious only when symptoms are present and only through bodily fluids contact. Even people who lived in the same home as the man who died from Ebola in Dallas did not contract the disease.

These workers ARE following medical protocol, they are fighting against non-medical protocals put in place.

Buck-i-Nana, you will be butting your head up against a brick wall here. It seems that no one is taking into account that these medical professionals have been going back and forth to Africa for years fighting and dealing with other outbreaks of Ebola, and no one here was ever infected when they returned. No one even took any notice of it. It has only been since the outbreak got so big over there, and Dr. Brantley came back, the publicity started, and now there is the public outcry, disrespect for the doctors and nurses, and fear mongering, even by some political officials, who should know better. I know you are trying to bring some reason to this very contentious subject, but I have given up. Thank you for continuing to try.

And when was the first case of Ebola in the USA? Certainly not years ago which is why people have finally noticed.

That is exactly my point. Everyone is up in arms about quarantining all the medical professionals who come back, but they've been coming back for years and nothing happened, so why all the uproar now? This has only become a huge issue because Dr. Brantley got sick and came back here, although many people didn't even want him to come back to his home country for care. That's all I have to say about this now.

Respected Contributor

On 10/29/2014 MomTo2Dogs said: <p class="quote_author">Thank you for the info. Where would someone fall if they were caring for patients?

<p class="quote_author">

Caring for Ebola patients? Medical personnel caring for Ebola patients are wearing protective gear, and since the 2 nurses developed Ebola, that gear has been re-evaluated and modified as well as the procedures and mandatory buddy monitoring when taking the gear off.

I mean what category of CDC guidelines would they be placed in if caring for Ebola patients and what are the CDC recommendations for what they should be doing upon return to the US? Thanks.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

On 10/29/2014 Caravaggio said:

Oh good grief. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} How will you get on with your day.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Better question cara...how will you? You accused me of posting something I didn't and I proved it. How about an apology?

Valued Contributor

On 10/28/2014 Dam Yankee said:
On 10/28/2014 scotttie said:

I really really really hope she shows a softer side to herself during this interview. Now that she has had a chance to rest. I feel bad not liking her.

I hope that they rake her over the coals in the interview, if that's not the case.

they won't...I wish she'd just go back now...clearly she wants her name out there and seeking her 15 mins which negates all the good she's supposedly done

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/29/2014 Caravaggio said:

Oh good grief. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} How will you get on with your day.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Absolutely fine! How about you - hope you have a great one! Smile

Super Contributor

On 10/29/2014 MomTo2Dogs said:

And when was the first case of Ebola in the USA? Certainly not years ago which is why people have finally noticed.

It's a numbers game. The more that go to volunteer, the more chance you'll have for some who come back infected. As long as the worker follows procedures (as Dr. Spencer did) there shouldn't be any problems. Except for the problems we create for ourselves.

The WHO is saying they will need 10,000 more volunteers to help with the crisis in Africa. Are we to make it difficult to volunteer? Volunteers are what we need to end the disease in WA.

Super Contributor

*NM