Trusted Contributor

Re: Nurse is catching slack for her tik tok video....

Lots of nurses filmed themselves, exhausted, weepy and grieving over the massive number of covid deaths they saw. Doctors and otheer also have filmed themselves live for social media. Its no big deal after seeing hundreds of these during the pandemic.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not everything has to be on TikTok. Many people are looking for their 15 minutes of fame.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

Lots of nurses filmed themselves, exhausted, weepy and grieving over the massive number of covid deaths they saw. Doctors and otheer also have filmed themselves live for social media. Its no big deal after seeing hundreds of these during the pandemic.

Two wrongs don't make it right.  And lots of wrongs dont make it right.  

I worked in oncology.  Lost many patients.  Would never think of making my feelings public.  It is a big deal. 

Trusted Contributor

@september wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

Two wrongs don't make it right.  And lots of wrongs dont make it right.  

I worked in oncology.  Lost many patients.  Would never think of making my feelings public.  It is a big deal. 

It is only your opinion that the grieving medical workers were wrong to film themselves.

I think it was important that the public knew there were grieving care givers behind the tragic deaths. I appreciated it. As long as no personal identifiable info is given, I don't have a problem with it.

Valued Contributor

I realize that times have changed and at 73 years of age I’m a dinosaur when it comes to the social media generation but I really find this inappropriate and unprofessional.

I was a Hospice nurse for many years and, prior to that, worked in an Oncology Unit of a large city hospital. Believe me, healthcare professionals see unbelievably tragic situations and are deeply affected by them. I can recall many, many times when we nurses and, at times, doctors wiped away tears but always in the privacy of the nurses’ lounge away from the public eye.

My son and daughter in law are both in health care and the stress has only increased from what I hear. People are leaving the profession in droves, burnt out from covid, aggressive patients, mandatory schedule changes due to shortages etc. So I hope this young nurse learns from this experience but I wouldn’t want to see her career derailed permanently.

Super Contributor

I'm a nurse and have been for thirty eight years.  I cannot imagine setting up my phone to take a video of me crying or mourning a patient.  Yes, it's hard, yes it takes its toll on you as a person, BUT to me it's simply attention seeking.  And honestly if a nurse needs attention, she's usually got a lot of coworkers who totally can empathize with her or him.

Sadly in this case I'm sure that the family is suffering much more than the nurse. I have cried at a few patient deaths, some are harder than others, but I never wanted people to see me and especially, I'm certain with all the fuss, the family will see this and realize that she was their loved ones nurse and feel the need to console HER.  Kind of self centered of that nurse.  Just my opinion.  

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset  Oh I completely understand.

Valued Contributor

I do think there is a big difference between doctors and nurses who broke down when being interviewed during the covid crisis and setting up a camera and filming a reaction to a death for viewing on tik tok.

I think the professionals who were interviewed when they were exhausted and frightened during covid often surprised themselves when they were unable to maintain their composure. It wasn’t choreographed.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset 

I come from a family of Medical people. On the nursing side RN's, BSN, MSN, Physicians assistant and a couple of doctors thrown in and I was also conflicted but I would NEVER pass judgement on them.  Then I thought of this.

They went from being celebrated with pictures like this to now being criticized for showing true reaction to losing a patient.  She may loose more patients before her day is over.  I hope if I'm in the hospital I have a nurse feels so deeply.

I have so much respect for nurses and what they do.   

Trusted Contributor

@nevergivesup wrote:

I do think there is a big difference between doctors and nurses who broke down when being interviewed during the covid crisis and setting up a camera and filming a reaction to a death for viewing on tik tok.

I think the professionals who were interviewed when they were exhausted and frightened during covid often surprised themselves when they were unable to maintain their composure. It wasn’t choreographed.

I'm not talking about interviews . There were PLENTY of medical personnel filming THEMSELVES during and after their shifts, crying and grieving on camera. If someone wants to do it now, it's no different.

I support nurses and caregivers and if they want to blow off steam on Tik Tok, more power to em.