Esteemed Contributor

Nurse is catching slack for her tik tok video....

In the story as reported by Inside Edition, and other news outlets, the nurse was apparently upset about the lost of a patient that day.  She streamed her reaction about the death of a patient she was caring for on Tik Tok.  Many are saying she was "attention seeking" and had no right to do this while at work.

No patient information was disclosed but she sure is catching a lot of backlash because people view her actions as inappropriate and "attention seeking" and/or looking for sympathy.  I think people who upload themselves to live platforms like this want their few minutes of fame, but where do we draw the line?  Will anything be sacred?

Here is the video as provided by Inside Edition with a reporter providing details as to what the nurse is doing and saying:

Nurse Criticized for Posting TikTok After Patient's Death - YouTube

I don't know how I feel about this yet.  If social media is where she gets comfort under less than ideal moments during the day, she needs psychological help, imo.  She could also be burned out.  Nursing, too is another thankless job, imo.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Re: Nurse is catching slack for her tik tok video....

I won't be watching. I know many nurses and many have lost a patient and I can't even imagine any of them putting themselves on display like this. Maybe she needs to retire or get some therapy about the appropriate way to handle this.

Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset  Like you, I'm not sure what I think of this. I'm not a huge social media fan. Do I think this is appropriate? No I don't. Do I think she should be publicly spanked for this? No I don't. Over the last two years there are a couple professions you couldn't pay me enough to be. Health care workers, teachers, police officers to name a few. If this is what it takes for her to process what is probably not her first patient loss, then so be it. I try really hard not to judge a situation I've never been in and probably never will be.❤️

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I won't be watching. I know many nurses and many have lost a patient and I can't even imagine any of them putting themselves on display like this. Maybe she needs to retire or get some therapy about the appropriate way to handle this.

I only added the footage for those who had not seen the story.  Viewing it here, does not add to her viewership count on Tik Tok.  I also believe she has taken it down.  My reason posting the actual video was for context to the story.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Of course she was attention seeking and putting on a show but she was also devastated and grieving for the loss of her patient.  In this day of runaway social media in which people share every facet of their lives and seek comfort from followers and posters, it's not surprise that she would pour her heart out on Tik Tok.  I'm ok with it as long as she did not identify anything about the patient or the hospital she works for.  I think she has a right to her feelings while maintaining patient confidentiality.

Honored Contributor

I find it inappropriate and disapprove of how social media has become a kind of tabloid tell all.🙄🙁

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I find it inappropriate and disapprove of how social media has become a kind of tabloid tell all.🙄🙁

I agree and wonder who filmed her or did she have her camera set up and aimed at her?  

My mom was a registerednurse, she was in the heart unit of a large hospital.  It would not have been her style to film her self greiving for a pateint.

Super Contributor

@gertrudecloset @ As a nurse, I find this so staged. She had to set up her phone just right to  "capture" her moment of grief.  Sympathy seeking comes to mind. I lost many pts over my 40 year career and cried with many family members. I cried on the way home and at home, for those I lost, especially children. I would never place a camera in front of myself. This is certainly an attention seeking time "poor me I have it so hard" just not my way.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Yes. And how would this patient's family feel, if they viewed this and recognized her as their loved one's nurse?

Honored Contributor

Nurse, or any other healthcare professional, outwardly displaying distress like a person who has lost a family member is so unprofessional at every level. Containing emotions is part of the job. If that is not possible then leave and keep it to yourself.