Trusted Contributor

Re: Nurse is catching slack for her tik tok video....

@Rose429 

I had to have spinal surgery in ’93. Doctor had to cut my neck from ear to ear. I had the most comforting nurses one could ask for. I could not have solid foods and they all brought me fudgesicles and would sit and feed them to me and just talk even though I couldn’t. There are very good nurses out there that do not seek attention. They just do their job with much compassion and do it very well.

Forever grateful to you.

Honored Contributor

If I was a family member knowing she was the nurse for my mother or patient who died, I would feel like she was making herself the most important in the whole grief process rather than the family or the person who died.

I hope she at least mentioned the family and talked about her patient rather than her own grief. Otherwise she is making it about her.

I don't think tik tok is the way to go, no matter how sincere she was. 

My daughter is a nurse too and she would never do this.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Having been a nurse for 40 years working in ICU and oncology, I felt what she did was very inappropriate. Death is a part of the job, a very difficult part of the job. We always had chaplains and social workers available, when needed, to listen and assist workers. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Social media is just that...social and sometimes inappropriate.  I personally find this "public" video not only unprofessional but "cringeworthy" with the emotional music.  I worked at NIMH as an administrator on and off of a Clinical Psychiatric Ward and most psychiatric nursing is burnout work.  We had a therapist available to discuss our work week, etc. and it was incredibly beneficial. Some parts of us are private and personal and should be respected and not made public. Why would this nurse post her emotions on any social media but she used trashy communist Beijing, China-run TikTok...JMO

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would've originally thought if she just posted something to family and friends of the her moment of distress, but I guess even what's *private* can get hacked into....and is no longer private.

Honored Contributor

My sister is a nurse, one of my sons is career military, and another son is a MSW therapist.  All have lost .... patients, soldiers, clients. I can't imagine any of them posting their reaction. These are gut wrenching and very personal events, especially for families of those lost. There is no need to make a mockery of it.

Just because someone can does not mean they should.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

If I was a family member knowing she was the nurse for my mother or patient who died, I would feel like she was making herself the most important in the whole grief process rather than the family or the person who died.

I hope she at least mentioned the family and talked about her patient rather than her own grief. Otherwise she is making it about her.

@on the bay   How could she have mentioned the family and talked about the patient???

Just because your daughter would never do this-not even relevant here.

This nurse is not the only one to put this out on social media-considering all we saw during the height of  COVID-19, too.

If such a fuss had not been made, I doubt anyone here would have even known about this incident.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Right or wrong is all perception.  Agree or disagree, fine.

It happened, and now it is over.  It is not the first time, either.

All this righteous posting can be taken with a grain of salt, too.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@on the bay   How could she have mentioned the family and talked about the patient???

Just because your daughter would never do this-not even relevant here.

This nurse is not the only one to put this out on social media-considering all we saw during the height of  COVID-19, too.

If such a fuss had not been made, I doubt anyone here would have even known about this incident.

@Cakers3 She mentioned that her daughter would never do that because her daughter is obviously professional, unlike the nurse in the tik tok video. That is a relevant point she is making here.

Also, maybe there were other videos done by medical personnel during the height of COVID, but those were spontaneous and heartfelt, not theatrically staged like the one done by the nurse being discussed in this thread.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3,

I know you think your opinion may be very valued but

that is how you feel, this is how I feel.

I posted what I did based on my experience with other nurses as well when my mother died.

So neither of our feelings are "relevant" to the other.

I don't know why you have to post such things, or make personal references to me, but since you did call me out, I'll answer you directly.

We all are just posting our personal feelings about it, and about someone we don't know.

You don't need to judge or call out others about their opinions just because they don't match yours.

No one is a know it all here so you don't have to try to be.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"