Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nurse is catching slack for her tik tok video....

[ Edited ]

@JamandBread 

@JamandBread wrote:

@nevergivesup wrote:

I do think there is a big difference between doctors and nurses who broke down when being interviewed during the covid crisis and setting up a camera and filming a reaction to a death for viewing on tik tok.

I think the professionals who were interviewed when they were exhausted and frightened during covid often surprised themselves when they were unable to maintain their composure. It wasn’t choreographed.

I'm not talking about interviews . There were PLENTY of medical personnel filming THEMSELVES during and after their shifts, crying and grieving on camera. If someone wants to do it now, it's no different.

I support nurses and caregivers and if they want to blow off steam on Tik Tok, more power to em.

Well said, Thank y0u.  What was inappropriate just 5 yrs ago are no big deal today.  Times have changed so quickly some have problems with change.

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@JamandBread 

@JamandBread wrote:

@nevergivesup wrote:

I do think there is a big difference between doctors and nurses who broke down when being interviewed during the covid crisis and setting up a camera and filming a reaction to a death for viewing on tik tok.

I think the professionals who were interviewed when they were exhausted and frightened during covid often surprised themselves when they were unable to maintain their composure. It wasn’t choreographed.

I'm not talking about interviews . There were PLENTY of medical personnel filming THEMSELVES during and after their shifts, crying and grieving on camera. If someone wants to do it now, it's no different.

I support nurses and caregivers and if they want to blow off steam on Tik Tok, more power to em.

Well said, Thank y0u.  What was inappropriate just 5 yrs ago are no big deal today.  Times have changed so quickly some have problems with change.

I am probably about the last person that has a problem with change @mspatmac . What I object to is that nothing seems to be sacred anymore. Over sharing is rampart. As the recipient of a post on Instagram from a loved one, revealing a very private, sensitive subject matter, I am tired of the excuses. There seem to be few boundaries anymore and a free for all on social media.😳

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 

Thank you for adding to the conversation and I agree to some nothing is sacred.  some stuff posted is truly disgusting to me.  A lot worse than a women fully covered in scrubs posting a video displaying her grief.  

Honored Contributor

It feels too performative and self-centered, not to mention disrespectful to the deceased and family. It becomes all about that person instead. What about me-ism. 
I'm tired of all the dramatics and immaturity. 

Esteemed Contributor

I see it as inappropriate as a  Nurse to take time tio film yourself to post on public media at your work place. Along with all the cutsey videos of Medical staff dancing and  doing whatever  on videos . Do it on your own time  and at home , if you need  , maintain privacy . Evry second that these Nurses are  filming themselves are secords that some patient is not reciving care or another Nurse has to carry an extra patient while some Nurse is filming themselves...

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@Trinity11 

Thank you for adding to the conversation and I agree to some nothing is sacred.  some stuff posted is truly disgusting to me.  A lot worse than a women fully covered in scrubs posting a video displaying her grief.  

@mspatmac I put myself in the place of the family who lost a loved one. Nursing is a profession. I would not want anyone setting up a camera based on my family's loss. She is overstepping boundaries and for myself her behavior was unprofessional.

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

It feels too performative and self-centered, not to mention disrespectful to the deceased and family. It becomes all about that person instead. What about me-ism. 
I'm tired of all the dramatics and immaturity. 

Exactly.  Health care professionals have always had to deal with overwhelming emotions.  Before social media, we found other outlets.  For me, it was athletic activities, which clear ones head.  There are lots of other ways... 

Super Contributor

This person is totallly unprofessional and attention seeking. As a health care worker, she should be aware of proper coping mechanisms, and where to go for help such as a therapist, counselor, minister, etc.

Nursing is a service profession, and not about oneself. I am a registered nurse for 40+years, and have had the honor to be with dying patients. Is it rough and draining? You bet. Is it rewarding? Yes.

To use a cliche, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find the lack of compassion for this nurse expressing grief sad. How anyone expresses their grief and shares it or keep it to themself is their call. If her expression is differnt from yours it is okay, you can still be kind and compassionate to her in this loss.

Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

I find the lack of compassion for this nurse expressing grief sad. How anyone expresses their grief and shares it or keep it to themself is their call. If her expression is differnt from yours it is okay, you can still be kind and compassionate to her in this loss.

As someone who is married to an RN and has RN friends, the level disrespect for nurses in this thread is heartbreaking.  Disrespecr and a complete lack of compassion and lack of knowledge of what nurses do for their patients.  I suppose they think nursing is like that drivel we see on TV.  Also, so many seem to be making what that nurse talked about.  Some hospitals provide counseling and emotional support for nurses who grieving or just burned out.  Some don't and I suspect some nurses need to vent with anonymity.  Social media fills that need now.