Super Contributor

Re: Nurse Nina Pham suing Texas hospital

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 brii said:
On 3/4/2015 terrier3 said:
On 3/4/2015 sidsmom said:

Dallas Morning News interview says:

<em>Pham said that while she did not volunteer to care for Duncan, she felt that she couldn’t say no.</em>

She did KNOW he had Ebola from the get go though.

I don't think she knew from the "get go". They suspected he has positive, but had to wait for test results.

While they were waiting for the test results...shouldn't they have treated him as "positive" to protect the nurses?

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 brii said:

<em>Pham said that while she did not volunteer to care for Duncan, she felt that she couldn’t say no.</em>

I don't think she knew from the "get go". They suspected he has positive, but had to wait for test results.

While they were waiting for the test results...shouldn't they have treated him as "positive" to protect the nurses?

I think they did. They were still unprepared to take care of anybody with Ebola.

A team from the CDC should have been dispatched to that hospital immediately, IMO.

Respected Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Cakers1 said:

Wait a minute - this lawsuit isn't just about the lack of controls, which were clearly missing at this hospital.

Nina worked in ICU; the hospital placed Duncan in the ICU because they didn't know where else to place him. Nina was on her rotation shift and told she would be able to care for him "remotely" - and that turned out not to be true. She DID NOT VOLUNTEER to take care of Duncan.

The precautions were "GOOGLED" and handed out to her.

The full lawsuit is online, btw. There is much more to this lawsuit.

She deserves compensation for what she went through. Those who think it's about $$ and $$ only and worry about who will pay - pffft. I can't imagine being told I tested positive for such a devastating illness.

Perfectly stated!

Super Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Ilikeshade said:
On 3/4/2015 Cakers1 said:

Wait a minute - this lawsuit isn't just about the lack of controls, which were clearly missing at this hospital.

Nina worked in ICU; the hospital placed Duncan in the ICU because they didn't know where else to place him. Nina was on her rotation shift and told she would be able to care for him "remotely" - and that turned out not to be true. She DID NOT VOLUNTEER to take care of Duncan.

The precautions were "GOOGLED" and handed out to her.

The full lawsuit is online, btw. There is much more to this lawsuit.

She deserves compensation for what she went through. Those who think it's about $$ and $$ only and worry about who will pay - pffft. I can't imagine being told I tested positive for such a devastating illness.

Perfectly stated!

Hi found: I linked the actual lawsuit above - also, I believe it was Nina who had to Google, not the other way. My mistake in my earlier post.

It's only 36 pages and the first few are all about Ebola itself.

Respected Contributor

Love reading commentary from people who have never nor will ever be faced with caring for infectious disease patients!

Sure, nurses assume a risk, and are well aware of it.

HOWEVER, they are supposed to be afforded EVERY thing possible from possibly incurring injury. You are NOT given the option of declining to care for them.

I could JUST HEAR the outrage and the name calling of discrimination if they did. That was present around the HIV/AIDS earlier time. "Universal precautions" were developed. It says to treat EVERY patient as potentially infected.

In this, Ebola is somewhat different in that people who became infected (healthcare workers) could NOT come up with their exposure source. Not so with HIV for example - you would know about a needle stick. So, for Ebola, you need the highest level of protection to be around someone with it.

These nurses were NOT afforded the protection they truly needed. Even though Ebola patients are going to go to only a few facilities that have been designated, they can still come through the ER or even be admitted before the diagnosis is confirmed. So, it is incumbent upon hospitals TO HAVE equipment to guarantee the safety of caregivers.

I will NOT concede Thomas Duncan would have lived if he had been admitted right away. And, further, at first, he presented like many other viral illnesses. So, sending him home was a mistake in perfect 20/20 hindsight vision only. Cover ups are another story.

I will also NOT concede that it is BETTER to keep this deadly disease OUT of the USA as best as possible.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

On 3/4/2015 brii said:

Absolutely, yes.

But the nurses did NOT have the equipment they really needed. They did everything they COULD to protect themselves. But, other than a "spacesuit" type protection, it was not adequate. Obviously, because TWO nurses were infected.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

..............sorry, she could have said 'NO', and as I understood, nurse Pham did know that Mr. Duncan `h a d` > -Ebola.

Whatever she (nurse) has, you can bet some lawyer(s) has a hold on this and big $$s are involved. [SHE IS ALIVE!] IF IN DOUBT, SHE SHOULD HAVE insisted or LET 'the MORE PROFESSIONAL NURSES COME IN, having MORE EXPERIENCE -INFECTIOUS DISEASES.

I have no knowledge what her credentials are / were in that format of education. _Naes

Trusted Contributor

Perhaps the poor woman in Akron who owned the bridal shop and had to permanently close her doors just recently should be awarded part of their litigation awards. The nurses were WORKING when they contracted this disease, they can sue their state's WC for a lump sum to cover any future medical expenses. The bridal shop owner lost so much business, she had to close her shop. The girl that went their DID know she was exposed to Ebola and went anyway.

Why should a business owner suffer for her careless actions?

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

It's amazing to me that anyone thinks that Nina should not be suing the hospital. I think she deserves to be compensated for what she went through and what she's still going through. I agree with the poster who said that the CDC should have been dispatched to that hospital immediately.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau