Valued Contributor

Re: Now that we've named those we'd like dinner with, what creator, artist, or inventor would you li

At my imaginary dinner party, I was already sitting down with Elon Musk and Martha Stewart, however, if I could add another name it would be my hero, Jonas Salk, creator of the Salk polio vaccine.

Salk did not patent his vaccine.

On April 12, 1955, the day the Salk vaccine was declared “safe, effective and potent,” legendary CBS newsman Edward R. Morrow interviewed its creator and asked who owned the patent. “Well, the people, I would say,” said Salk in light of the millions of charitable donations raised by the March of Dimes that funded the vaccine’s research and field testing. “There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?” Lawyers for the foundation had investigated the possibility of patenting the vaccine but did not pursue it, in part because of Salk’s reluctance.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

Re: Now that we've named those we'd like dinner with, what creator, artist, or inventor would you li

[ Edited ]

I would like to have a discussion about the universe with Stephen Hawking, Carl Sagan and Nostradamus.  Also like to discuss with Edgar Cayce his dianostic/healing gift.  It would be fasinating to talk with Michelangelo about the Sistine Chapel.

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I'm surprised at two names.  Sometimes we know a person for his/her invention but fail to understand what his/her philosphy about other people entailed.

I don't know which two names you are referring to, but wouldn't it be fascinating to ask them in person about their philosophies about other people.

Just the reason to sit down and talk face to face, IMO

Trusted Contributor

My choice is still Jacque Pepin. And he is also an artist!

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I'm surprised at two names.  Sometimes we know a person for his/her invention but fail to understand what his/her philosphy about other people entailed.

I don't know which two names you are referring to, but wouldn't it be fascinating to ask them in person about their philosophies about other people.

Just the reason to sit down and talk face to face, IMO

So true.  Creativity flourishes when one has an open mind.

Esteemed Contributor

Abraham Lincoln,his wisdom saved our nation from coming apart. His kindness. 

Leonardo Di Caprio, his passion for our Earth and backs it up with millions of $. Oh and he's easy on the eyes.

Buddha,the great teacher on how to be a better human being.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@rrpell wrote:

At my imaginary dinner party, I was already sitting down with Elon Musk and Martha Stewart, however, if I could add another name it would be my hero, Jonas Salk, creator of the Salk polio vaccine.

Salk did not patent his vaccine.

On April 12, 1955, the day the Salk vaccine was declared “safe, effective and potent,” legendary CBS newsman Edward R. Morrow interviewed its creator and asked who owned the patent. “Well, the people, I would say,” said Salk in light of the millions of charitable donations raised by the March of Dimes that funded the vaccine’s research and field testing. “There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?” Lawyers for the foundation had investigated the possibility of patenting the vaccine but did not pursue it, in part because of Salk’s reluctance.

Jonas Salk...how many millions of lives did that great great man save or save from a life of disability.  A true hero. Thanks for the reminder.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a coincidence: Just last evening, I happened across a radio station talk show, and the last few minutes of an interview with an author of a new book that seemed to be interesting (to me).  I looked into her website early this morning, and I immediately thought that she would be an interesting person to chat (with).  The name of her new book is "On The Verge" by REBECCA COSTA.  (There are other similar titles of books on the Web, but they aren't the same as this new one by 'Rebecca Costa'.)  In fact, I discussed this book with another person this morning. I plan to 'check it out' from my Library.   ........ p.s.  'Check out' her Website re: her new book, summary, etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Elon Musk

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera and I want to have dinner with them in Mexico. I saw the movie Frida and OMG what a strong interesting woman. Loved her art and although she certainly wasn't an artist in the classic sense like her husband DR, I'd rather own something she painted. DR was such a weak man, but I think he did love Frida in his own way. I guess Frida has been dead quite awhile, I don't really know if her husband is still alive. I wouldn't want to have dinner with just him though.