Valued Contributor

Now let us talk about the DMV

I live in a large city oustide of Los Angeles, and we have two DMVs in the area, but it is not nearly enough.  Everytime you go, you wait and wait and wait (even with an appointment).  Heaven forbid, you don't have one.........you could wait all day out the door. There is never enough parking either.  I know it is a government thing, but why in the world don't they have more?  The one in our city was closed for remodeling for almost a year before we got it back. Thank goodness I didn't have any need to go to one during that time.  I do have AAA, but still there are some things you can't do through them.  

Just grousing.........Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: Now let us talk about the DMV

I have no complaints with RMV in my state, short waits and the availablity to complete some transactions online make it no longer a dreaded chore.

Honored Contributor

we usually have long wait times also......you are not alone.

i have done some DMV work in southern california via AAA......we dont even have that option in maryland right now.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We have a very strange thing in New Mexico that I haven't seen anywhere else.  There are private, non-governmental offices with names like DMV Express that do the administrative chores of the DMV very fast for an extra fee.  You can get in and out with little, if any, wait. 

We still have the normal DMV office and they are weird too. The one in my town is sponsored by the city and the employees are city employees running what is essentially a state office.  I think the city pays the rent on the building.  They have take-a-number and you sit and wait.  I don't have to wait long usually. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

We have a very strange thing in New Mexico that I haven't seen anywhere else.  There are private, non-governmental offices with names like DMV Express that do the administrative chores of the DMV very fast for an extra fee.  You can get in and out with little, if any, wait. 

We still have the normal DMV office and they are weird too. The one in my town is sponsored by the city and the employees are city employees running what is essentially a state office.  I think the city pays the rent on the building.  They have take-a-number and you sit and wait.  I don't have to wait long usually. 

@Kachina624

we have those also......it is a pretty good business to have in our area......tag and title services. you pay a bit more, but it is worth it not to have to stand in line or waste an entire day.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I can relate, @chihuahuamom. I abhor the DMV. 

I live in the suburbs of a big city. As if the DMV wasn't bad enough, about half of the branches were closed 4 years ago to "Contain Costs."

Now, the hour line to renew tabs and DL is a two hour line. There are no seats except for folding chairs in the middle of the room for those that bring the whole family, and I mean mom, at least 4 kids, grandma & grandpa, the whole shebang... Yikes. Last year I had to go in because I didn't receive my renewal paperwork in the mail like I have for 49+ years. A surly woman informed me that it is not a DMV issue, that they only send the paperwork as a "favor" to the driver & the responsibility is the drivers because "everyone KNOWS you need new tabs every birthday." Yes, dimwit, but I like to avoid darkening your door by utilizing mail in payment. So nice of them to be so "courteous" the past 40 years, then. Duh.

SMH

dee

Honored Contributor

I'm just in total fear that "they" are gonna tell me I'm too OLD to drive........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I was lucky when I went to renew my license a few weeks ago.  When we got there, there was absolutely no wait.  They took me immediately!  Shocking.

I said something to the clerk about the lack of a crowd and she said she thought it was because it was raining, which was my thought also.

The one I went to certainly wasn't a cheery place physically in terms of wall color, floor finishings, chairs, etc., but both the clerk who waited on me and her supervisor were very friendly.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lol here I go again singing the praises of rural life living! Anytime we go to our DMV there is no wait, no lines actually I am the only one there and I'm in and out in a matter of 5 minutes! Even when we lived downstate in the big city, we'd wait to go this rural DMV when we needed to! The first year we lived from big city to now rural we walked around in a haze. We just couldn't believe the delightful difference in establishments such as the DMV and the SS offices. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I like to hit the DMV first thing on a Saturday morning. I can be in and out in just a few minutes that way. If you get in before the car dealers, and the majority of the general population, you can make your life much easier. They open here at 8AM on Saturdays and if you're there at 8 there's no wait, no hassle and you're in and out in a blink. Just an hour later and you're in line for quite a wait.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!