Honored Contributor

Some assumptions here are incorrect:

"By the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s own estimate, 61 percent of student athletes last year were white. At elite colleges, that number is even higher: 65 percent in the Ivy League, not including international students, and 79 percent in the Division III New England Small College Athletic Conference, which includes elite liberal-arts colleges like Williams College and Amherst College."

We see the stars in football and basketball. There are many more scholarships that to go to those who play more "elitist" sports.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@songbird @suzyQ3 @GenXmuse @golding76 @corita 

This has never been part of my world...well, yes it was, once.

A young lady flounced in during dance team tryouts at daughter’s university. She tried out, then left. 

All of the other girls were required to be present the entire day.

It looked so strange to me so when I asked the others, they said “do you know what her last name is?” It is the name of that new building right there. Oh.

i have no grudge about it, b/c DD did not make that dance team...thank goodness! (how would she have ever made grades?)

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

No surprise here. No college name means anymore to me than the other. My State College is the only one I pay any attention to at all.

So Ivy League school names mean what to whom and why? Does a smart, intelligent student get smarter because they went to Harvard than our city's Creighton Law School? I think not. 

Nothing has ever impressed me be it a title/rank/$$$, people are people and I have always viewed them all the same. Guess some are impressed, but I  do not fall into that category.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor
Sooner, that is a good question; I have thought about that, too.
Honored Contributor
This has a trickle down effect...all the way down to jr high....kids know they can slack off and not do their work.,..gpa won’t matter since parents will be buying their way into the college of their choice...
Honored Contributor

While this has been going on for a long time, it is very disturbing and of course wrong.

I learned about White Collar crime in the late sixties at college.  I was much younger of course and never knew about such activity.  I lived in a city where political corruption was present but the term white collar crime finally was explained and I was appalled.  That was a long time ago and white collar crime has been rampant.  What goes on in the land of privilege and wealth continues because greed and money talks.  I don't begrudge people with money, I do begrudge the way they earn their money and it is more often than not by illegal means and hurting others.

Honored Contributor

Re: Now it's Yale

[ Edited ]

Many athletes major in “ university studies” which is basically the intro course to enough courses to justify a b,a.degree. One of my daughters was a tutor for some star athletes at her university and helped a couple make it through basic English Lit, Western Civ, etc. and whatever else the coaches usually “suggested”. I remember many years ago struggling through biochemistry...and getting an 85 on a midterm....very upsetting to me since I needed a higher grade....there was a football player in the class..what he was doing in there I will never know...but the precious Saturday after we got our test grades the professor congratulated him on a 90 yard kickoff return for a TD...so he gave him a 90 on the exam. I resent it to this day......this sort of stuff has been going on forever.

Trusted Contributor

I am not surprised and believe this has been going on for a long, long time.  I taught high school mathematics and had a father hand me a blank check and told me he wanted his son to receive an A because the grade would affect his getting accepted into the college of choice. The boy was a jerk, irresponsible and lazy. after meeting the father I understood why.  No, I did not accept the offer and told him I do not give grades, my students earn grades.  He threatened me with going to the principal and I told him he was more than welcome to do so because I would report him to the school board.

No job is worth ones integrity.  He never pursued this any further and the boy got what he earned, a C.

Honored Contributor
The parents were too busy making money and not parenting...
Honored Contributor
I would almost bet they are paying big money to stay anonymous...and some college administrators have some fatter bank accounts