Esteemed Contributor

Went grocery shopping today and was pleasantly surprised.  Safeway and WM were better stocked than I expected and I got the best deal on hamburger ever (10 lb chub, 15% fat for 10.00, regular price $44.00).  We came home and broke it into 1 lb packages and made Ikea meatballs and gravy (amazing).

Honored Contributor

I think we Americans can get through a shortage of anything.....but love.  I worked in a museum. We had many letters wartime and ration time I love to read.  .  Also the ration books were full of the story of a family.  Some had coupons left over for gas, which told me they couldn't travel, or didn't have a car.  The butter, sugar were always gone The newspapers would have a title story on new shipment of sugar.  This was news,    The recipe section was full of wartime recipes to make bakery items Without milk, sugar and eggs.   I know I heard my parents relate stories, as many of you can.  

the last 40 years have been a land of plenty for us.  I am not speaking of those that do not have means to buy groceries, but those that have the money... buy what they want. The grocery stores are full of items I never dreamed we would eat often, are available all year,!
perhaps this horrible time in our country's history will have a good side.  Lessons learned.  Hopefully the lessons I learn will carry with me the  rest of my life.  

i have come to the conclusion I lead a pretty good life.  I am grateful for sure

Super Contributor

China just bought Smithfield.

Honored Contributor

@aprildreams wrote:

China just bought Smithfield.

@aprildreams   Seven years ago.

Super Contributor

Check ncpork.org for information about pork and China.