Trusted Contributor

As someone who eats a plant based diet--- I do think this may be a good time for others to explore that option! 

HeartHeartHeart

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Further meat news from  Bloomberg News, published in today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution newspaper.........

The risk of further interruptions is particularly high for the U.S. pork indsutry, with farmers raising pigs in a relatively concentrated area in the western half of the Midwest.

"You have 20 plants that account for 70 percent of capacity", Altin Kalo, analyst at Steiner Consulting Group, said by telephone.

Some plants relying on fresh pork that's not  frozen might have some shortages, he said.  Closures would also force farmers, many of whom supply hogs on a contract basis, to scramble for another market.

"The ones you really feel sorry for are the producers," Kalo said.

@novamc1 

The subject of the article is ......... 🐷

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Actually,I feel sorry for the poor horribly treated PIGS!!!!!

Maybe,just maybe ,it is a sign from GOD to stop eating meat....................

at the very least ,a sign to treat the poor animals we eat a little  better!!!!!

Regular Contributor

I have been hearing more about a meat and even a food shortage!! On the news this week I heard even starting next week the meat shortage can start.

If we all had the same opinion or everyone was the same. the world would be a very boring place!
Regular Contributor

@JasoninBoston   Would like to know more about plant based!! Can you please post how to start out? Thank you!

If we all had the same opinion or everyone was the same. the world would be a very boring place!
Honored Contributor

@JasoninBoston wrote:

As someone who eats a plant based diet--- I do think this may be a good time for others to explore that option! 

HeartHeartHeart

That could work out if your area has flour, beans and rice in stock.  Those items are missing in action already.  Pretty soon we might be happy with anything we can get our hands on.

Respected Contributor

@LolaMontez wrote:

Luckily, smart prepared people all have emergency food supplies -- canned chicken, tuna, salmon, beans, soups, mac & cheese, nuts, paper products, cleaning surprise and other shelf stable proteins and other foods like rice, pasta and canned vegetables that were stocked well in advance in case of such an emergency situation.  

If people didn't keep emergency stores prior to the COVID crisis, surely they will when it is finally over.  A valuable lesson will have been learned and that is to the benefit of all concerned.

What?  I see so many people in lines at food banks across this nation on the news daily....thousands and thousands of them.  Are you saying these Americans are being taught a lesson to stock up?  Maybe they can't afford to buy 6 months worth of food like you do??  I find your post very "mean" and thoughtless.

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Spurt @I didn't know that China processed the pork.I won't purchase anything under that label again.

There is another post just below that answers this question correctly.  They process it all here but they do sell to China directly also....but none comes back here for sale.

Trusted Contributor

I've seen this on a few different sites and all I can is be careful to read the articles VERY carefully. If you know anyone that works in the food/meat industry, you know that this is considered to be fake news. Personally, I think the media stirs up a lot of panic because it sells.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Trusted Contributor

@HouseMouse wrote:

@JasoninBoston   Would like to know more about plant based!! Can you please post how to start out? Thank you!

@HouseMouse 

My best suggestion would be to seach Youtube and maybe even type "starting a plant based diet" and see what comes up.

I have been plant based my entire adult life and find great inspiration in the work of Dr. Joel Furhman.  I would suggest looking at his website as well.

Smiley Happy