Respected Contributor

Re: Now THIS is a Senior Moment !!!

@RedTop wrote:

@wonderfulworld 

You are correct in that many of these odd things we do as we age, become true indicators of cognitive dysfunction and early stage dementia.  

An uncle's metastasized lung cancer was not found until it was in his brain, causing him to do very odd things.   He couldn't remember how to tie his shoes, brush his teeth, turn the lights in the house on/off, open a closed door to his house with a key, couldn't look at a phone number and dial it on the phone.  The day we took him for the MRI, he did not know how to climb into his truck.  He finally leaned forward onto the bench seat, grabbed the steering wheel, and was pulling himself in, with my brother pushing, getting him inside with his legs down, so he could sit upright on the seat!  He seemed to know he wasn't doing it right, but never again knew how to get in/out of his truck.   The cancer in his brain was very advanced and he died in a few short months.   

I personally think the Medicare wellness exams will be beneficial in catching cognitive changes in many patients.   

What a sad story! Things can change in a hurry as we age. 

Honored Contributor

Today I was driving down the street and all of a sudden I said 'where am I?'.   I felt like I was losing where I was going.   I've had episodes where I had to get off the street and wait to realize where I was, where I was going, and how to get there.  

Fortunately, this time it was momentary and the data came back to me pretty quickly.  But I remember feeling kind of anxious for a moment there!

Hopefully, my episodes are less and less extensive because I try to do a lot of little things to use my brain and focus.  It must be helping!  Smiley Happy  I do get little episodes of confusion but they dissipate pretty quickly.  

One of the worst 'being old' things that I hate is that I constantly forget words.  Just every day words.  I know they are in there somewhere, but I just can't find them.  Sometimes I do.  Sometimes I don't.

Honored Contributor

Omg....   that's so funny.   

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Today I was driving down the street and all of a sudden I said 'where am I?'.   I felt like I was losing where I was going.   I've had episodes where I had to get off the street and wait to realize where I was, where I was going, and how to get there.  

Fortunately, this time it was momentary and the data came back to me pretty quickly.  But I remember feeling kind of anxious for a moment there!

Hopefully, my episodes are less and less extensive because I try to do a lot of little things to use my brain and focus.  It must be helping!  Smiley Happy  I do get little episodes of confusion but they dissipate pretty quickly.  

One of the worst 'being old' things that I hate is that I constantly forget words.  Just every day words.  I know they are in there somewhere, but I just can't find them.  Sometimes I do.  Sometimes I don't.

I think that we lose some of the ability to ' auto pilot' that we had when we 

were younger. Just get in car and end up at grocery store. Now driving 

requires concentration. Distraction is not my friend. 

Honored Contributor

DH has attempted to make a call on the TV remote.