Trusted Contributor

Re: Now I've Heard Everything!

[ Edited ]

Has anyone responding to this thread worked with people who have committed serious crimes ?

Has anyone volunteered with individuals who have committed non-serious crimes ?

When these people are IN JAIL they are receiving three hots and a cot, free medical care and a FREE Attorney for starters.   

For the Dreamers out there - Behavior Therapy ect.  is an excellent idea - but you cannot 'fix' someone who does not want help - and the majority of the people do not want help.  

Many of these people are suffering from addiction and/or mental health issues. 

Here is an excellent program for free stuff - 

Baltimore City spent 19 million dollars on 46 houses for women w/children in BALTIMORE COUNTY. These Families are soppose to be making a fresh start at the taxpayers expense. 

One woman had 2 Kids at age 22 - she was living in her Mothers basement.  The City put her in a Baltimore county home.

Ten years later:  4 Kids at age 32 - larger county home. 

She has earned her Masters (where ???) and NOW she is complaining that she does not have childcare so working would be difficult.

DO YOU THINK ***ANYONE*** learned a lesson ?

In the meantime Baltimore City is encouraging people to MOVE TO CITY !!!  Ha ha ha

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is a novel idea: tell would be lawbreakers ...if you do not break the law, you will not go to jail ...end of story!!  No payment for good behavior, but bad behavior will send you to jail.   I am so tired of coddling people who might, or do, violate the country's laws.

Respected Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

@Burnsite wrote:

Breaking rocks?  At $60,000 a year per inmate in New York State?  A stick of dynamite or a pneumatic drill would work better.

Punishment punishes.  It doesn't help improve behavior for the future.  That is worth caring about because prison costs are exorbitant.

We care more about punishment than early childhood nutrition or highway safety or food safety.  Something's really wrong here.

Some peope are blinded by the shining light of their moral superiority. To the extent that they derive pleasure from the suffering of those they feel better than. That's why we have ideas like feed them bread and water, let them kill each other, etc. 

No thought to the big picture that includes the reality that most of the incarcerated eventually get back out in society. 

Do you know how many people in this country over the age of 60 are doing without AC and sometimes heat, still out working in fields and farms , doing hard work in extreme weather just to barely exist? They don't have cable. Many don't have computers or the Internet. Meanwhile these punks have made a mockery out of the justice system. They are the ones who seem to think they are superior to everyone who is decent, works, and abides by the law. Talk about entitlement!

There's nothing being done of any substance in the form of rehabilitation now and probably never will be until some control over the sheer numbers can be tackled. These are repeat criminals who many times have grown up in an environment where they witnessed the same behavior, saw there was no consequence, and therefore decided it wasn't worth the time and effort to get educated and work. Many have no regard for the value of property or life. I'm sorry if it's harsh, but if you want to behave in an animalistic way, you should be treated in the same way. 

By the time you get a prison sentence, you have had ample opportunities to change and make a better life for yourself. I don't think anyone should be mistreated, but they are no better than many out there working their butts off day in and day out, trying to make a living. 

Punishment should punish. It's what keeps society from running amok with degenerate behavior. Yes, some people make stupid mistakes. They get probation or do jail time. They aren't in and out of prison, being supported by society. Much work needs to be done to change things, and it needs to start early, but that doesn't change the situation that we have now. Let's spend our money on that, not coddling prisoners. What about the warden in Texas or Arizona (not sure off the top of my head) where the inmates sleep in tents outside. I'll bet they aren't clammoring to go back yet he's depicted as some monster. 

Respected Contributor

@corita wrote:

Here is a novel idea: tell would be lawbreakers ...if you do not break the law, you will not go to jail ...end of story!!  No payment for good behavior, but bad behavior will send you to jail.   I am so tired of coddling people who might, or do, violate the country's laws.

I agree. We shouldn't be bribing people to be decent.

Esteemed Contributor

@corita wrote:

Yeah...pretty sure we already tried that.

Esteemed Contributor

"Many of these people are suffering from addiction and/or mental health issues."  ~  ineedaname                             

Which is exactly why they need these types of programs. 

Honored Contributor

I have yet to read the comments, and will  when time allows, but my initial reaction is what the heck?

We now choose people and pay them to be good. Why don't we do things the old fashioned way, and say if you don't get out, work hard, contribute to the community, and follow the rules, you have nothing. 

$9000 isn't squat in today's economy, and when that is gone, the bad guys are just going to be nice and still behave? I don't think so. 

There really is no motivator like knowing that if you don't work/contribute, you will have nothing. If you steal, kill or harm, all you will have is a cell and basic food. When it gets boiled down to that simple, and is the true reality, then things will change. 

Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Let me say up front that I am a fairly liberal person. Nevertheless, this idea is pure lunacy, a total abrogation of governmental and civic responsibility, and a complete admission of failure. I think there are people out there, in the public and private sectors, who just might be able to come up with some better ideas for spending our money to help prevent crime.

I consider myself rather conservative, and seems we see this the same way. 

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Whatever happened to hard time?  Breaking rocks and the sort?  Lots of roads need to be repaved, bridges rehabed, forests cleared.  Hard intense labor.  Meanwhile, things get done in this nation.  Heck, our freeways here have loads of litter to keep em all busy for many years. 

We live in the general area that the movie Shawshank Redemption was filmed (biggest part of it anyway). The prison used in the filming of that movie has been fixed up and preserved (part of it) the rest torn down and replaced. But in it's day, it was a full functioning city unto itself, almost. It had a full working farm that the prisoners worked to grow their beef and foods. There were industries inside over the years that provided work, training, and skills for the inmates, and generated some revenues. 

Prisons in the past were not always wonderful places, but the people who were serving time had work to do that helped pay the expenses of keeping them. But today, that is considered inhumane.

What bunk. 

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I don't know what would work, but I do have strong feelings that what we're currently doing as a society does not work.

That makes me favor experimental programs that could make a difference. Nothing will be perfect, so for me the question becomes -  why not try?

I really do see the logic in your point, but my question would be, where does it stop? How many people will expect this latest hand out?

Are the people being targeted with this program the same one's that we have already thrown a ton of taxpayer money at, through welfare, free public schools, after school programs, free breakfast and luches, free medical care, pubic house, welfare to work training programs etc. etc. etc. If all this government intervention at the early stages of their lives didn't get them on the straight and narrow, why should this?

I just find something fundamentally wrong with bribing people to do what they should.