Respected Contributor

Notices about mail service with my bills

I have gotten notices both on delivered mail and things I pay online to factor in slower delivery by the postal service.

So they want to let you know to mail things earlier, set up automatic payment, or pay earlier.

It's just crazy!

Hyacinth

Super Contributor

Re: Notices about mail service with my bills

I've seen that notice, too. But so far everything is being delivered quickly and without a hitch. So I'll heed the warning but not too worried about it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Haven't seen the memo but it really doesn't affect me because everything is on autopay. Things like the dentist I just call and arrange for a transaction over the phone. About the only things I mail are birthday cards to my friend from 1st grade and a few Christmas cards. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm often the recipient of emails and snail mail encouraging me to set up auto payments online or DOWNLOAD OUR APP ON YOUR MOBILE PHONE. I DON'T WANT TO for several reasons of my own. They're trying to escape having to pay for postage to send paper bills and bank statements through the mail is what I think. Last email I got from my bank yammered about the mail being slowed down and you don't want your CC payment to be late and yada yada yada. 

Esteemed Contributor

I only pay AmEx and Talbots the old fashioned way, by check. A few weeks ago, I was notified that Talbots had not received my last payment. I couldn't see, for sure, if I had sent them a check so I gave them my debit card number to pay the bill. Sure enough, today I got my Talbot's statement and there's a hefty credit. I think the payment was delayed so long in the mail that the payment deadline passed. I'm going to have to change my payment plans so as not to include the USPS.

Esteemed Contributor

I receive and pay every bill on line and have since each biller has offered it.  No worries about payments being late.

Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I'm often the recipient of emails and snail mail encouraging me to set up auto payments online or DOWNLOAD OUR APP ON YOUR MOBILE PHONE. I DON'T WANT TO for several reasons of my own. They're trying to escape having to pay for postage to send paper bills and bank statements through the mail is what I think. Last email I got from my bank yammered about the mail being slowed down and you don't want your CC payment to be late and yada yada yada. 

@shaggygirl   You don't have to download apps, or use a phone.  You can do everything on line through your bank on your computer.  You can receive your bills via email or some even directly sent to your bank and they will notify you when they arrive.  

Within a day I get notified the payment has been received.  Quick and easy.

Trusted Contributor

Haven't received that notice, but our mail service is so awful anyway we always know it takes extra time to get anything where it needs to go.

Honored Contributor

Pay mine in person, done and done.

Honored Contributor

I can't remember the last time either late DH or I got a paper bill of any kind.

When online bill paying started, we jumped in with both feet and never looked back. My AAA and Costco membership's are paid automatically. Everything else I do online.

No muss, no fuss. I can't imagine paying bills in person!