Contributor

Not the first time employees laid off

Found an interesting article dated August, 2021.  Within the article it was noted that QVC had laid off 450 employees in July, 2020.  The entire article was pretty interesting.  Wonder what they would report now? Anyway, here's a link to that article. https://mainlinetoday.com/life-style/beauty-shopping/qvc-history/?fbclid=IwAR0IxtF9_J0J2e6ZtPVAI0ofu...

Honored Contributor

Re: Not the first time employees laid off

@SylvaBelle   Yes, that layoff was also discussed extensively here on the forum.  

Super Contributor

That was interesting.  I didn't know Jane Treacy had started so young with the company. 

My dad worked for Hewlett-Packard back in the 1970's and I recall how happy my mom was that he got the job with them because they were known for not laying people off.  Of course that changed in the coming years once the founders were no longer calling the shots.

These days the manner in which a lot of big companies are firing people, just an email or being locked out of the building, etc. is just making a bad situation worse for those people. 

Seeing this attitude in employers, is it any wonder that employees just stop showing up for work without any notice when the work environment around firing has become so "inhumane" too? 

My husband is a manager and said it's not uncommon for an employee to just walk in, drop off their keys and company phone/car and without a word walk out. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember a big layoff at QVC in 2008.  Or maybe it was 2009. I knew someone that worked there at the West Chester studio.

Respected Contributor

They seem to like the number 450.