Honored Contributor

Not the best harbinger for fall/winter (Covid-related)

[ Edited ]

According to Reuter and also on Fox News:

The number of new COVID-19 cases rose 11% in the United States last week compared to the previous seven days, with infections spreading rapidly in the Midwest, which reported some of the highest positive test rates, according to a Reuters analysis.

Deaths fell 3% to about 4,800 people for the week ended Oct. 11, according to the analysis of state and county reports. Since the pandemic started, nearly 215,000 people have died in the United States and over 7.7 million have become infected with the novel coronavirus.

Twenty-nine out of 50 states have seen cases rise for at least two weeks in a row, up from 21 states in the prior week. They include the entire Midwest except Illinois and Missouri, as well as new hot spots in the Northeast, South and West.

In Idaho, 23.5% of more than 17,000 tests came back positive for COVID-19 last week, the highest positive test rate in the country, according to data from The COVID Tracking Project, a volunteer-run effort to track the outbreak. South Dakota, Iowa and Wisconsin also reported positive test rates above 20% last week.

For a third week in a row, testing set a record high in the country, with on average 976,000 tests conducted each day last week. The percentage of tests that came back positive for the virus rose to 5.0% from 4.6% the prior week.

The World Health Organization considers rates above 5% concerning because it suggests there are more cases in the community that have not yet been uncovered.

Check HERE for data details.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Not the best harbinger for fall/winter (Covid-related)

We also had our first American reinfection case in Nevada where a man caught two different Covid strains and the first strain did not give immunity to the second.

"A 25-year-old man with no known immune disorders or underlying conditions was infected with Covid-19 on two separate occasions, according to a study published in the Lancet Infectious Diseases journal.

The authors said further research was required, but added the findings indicated previous exposure to the virus may not guarantee total immunity, and that all individuals should comply with control measures.

It is the fifth confirmation of reinfection worldwide, researchers said, with at least four other cases confirmed in Belgium, the Netherlands, Hong Kong and Ecuador.

The second infection of the patient, who lives in Washoe County, Nevada, was more severe than the first and resulted in hospitalisation with oxygen support.

Researchers from the Nevada state public health laboratory and the University of Nevada, Reno school of medicine said he tested positive for the virus in April this year, and later tested negative on two separate occasions."

And we had our first reinfection death in the Netherlands where a woman had Covid once, then caught it again while on chemotherapy that suppressed her immune system, and died.

"Two months after first being diagnosed with COVID-19, she was in hospital for chemotherapy treatment when she developed a fever, cough and difficulty breathing. Another swab test showed she was positive for SARS-CoV-2. Two antibody tests were performed but both came back negative.

Her condition deteriorated considerably after eight days and two weeks later she died.

After analyzing the viral genomes from her first and second positive coronavirus tests, researchers found they were different strains, showing she had been reinfected with the virus, rather than the second test being the result of the first infection and "prolonged shedding."

The researchers said that the patient's immunocompromised status from her cancer was probably why the secondary infection resulted in a more severe case. They said the treatment she was getting may have led to a decline in immunity."

We also had Johnson & Johnson as well as Eli Lilly pause vaccine testing because of safety issues due to unexplained illnesses.

But otherwise things are going swimmingly. Woman Indifferent Stay safe everybody.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

The importance of these number cannot be overstated. We have yet even to enter the flu season and cold weather.

Please be very careful. Try to avoid indoor or outdoor groups and people whom you don't know. Of course, it shouldn't have to be said, but masks and physical distancing will go a long way in preventing outbreaks.

I've come to the realization that we are on our own. If most of us heed the advice, we can get through this. We simply cannot depend on others.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd care more about the number of 'cases' if they also shared how bad the symptoms for these cases have been. Just today, I heard of 2 people (around age 60) who basically had the sniffles. It says something when certain info isn't mentioned.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

I'd care more about the number of 'cases' if they also shared how bad the symptoms for these cases have been. Just today, I heard of 2 people (around age 60) who basically had the sniffles. It says something when certain info isn't mentioned.

@ThinkingOutLoud, the count as of today is TOTAL CASES-7,787,548. What method would you suggest be used to report the symptoms in these cases?

I think thatwe all know that some people get mild cases. Others are very, very sick. And some continue to suffer lasting problems.

214,446 deaths so far.

Regardless, no one person has a clue as to how he or she will be affected. Best always to try to avoid infection, don't you think?

Honored Contributor

The health experts keep saying we are still in the beginning stages of the pandemic...we've only just begun and there's a long road still ahead. How depressing.

Esteemed Contributor

I think people are tired of staying in. I know I am, but I remind myself I'd rather be here than in a hospital or worse, and I also wouldn't be happy if I had to go to the hospital and had a huge medical bill. Remembering these things keep me grounded. Literally, lol. 

And I'm lucky, I have room here to roam, not see anyone (I miss that), but I am trying to count my blessings. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 

I saw a news blurb this morning that both Johnson & Johnson and Eli Lilly have pulled back on thei rCovid vaccine testing due to volunteers getting sick ... or bad reactions .... not good, either way. 

I'm not sure we'll see a good, reliable and safe vaccine any time soon.

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

I heard of my first case of that this weekend. It was a lady who I'd taken some quilt tops to to have quilted. I wore my mask. Anyway, she said she had a friend who had it, and that this friend only had the sniffles too. She stayed quarantined for 14 days. 

I find it interesting, I have known several others who had it, and the majority of them ended up in the hospital, one told me he really thought he was going ot die. But all but the one lady, were very sick. 

I'm still not taking any chances. We help our parents, we cannot get it, I can't imagine getting it and giving it to anyone, let alone one of my loved ones. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud, the count as of today is TOTAL CASES-7,787,548. What method would you suggest be used to report the symptoms in these cases?

I think thatwe all know that some people get mild cases. Others are very, very sick. And some continue to suffer lasting problems.

214,446 deaths so far.

Regardless, no one person has a clue as to how he or she will be affected. Best always to try to avoid infection, don't you think?

Here's story from today in the news that you might be interested in, @ThinkingOutLoud :

A Texas man is speaking out after he dismissed COVID-19, contracted it, and hosted a gathering that likely caused it to spread throughout his close and extended family, leaving two dead.

Tony Green said he hosted a small at-home gathering the weekend of June 12 for himself and five members of his family, thinking that the worst of the pandemic was over. He said that nobody he knew had contracted the coronavirus and he felt it was time to move on with their lives.

“I used to call it the ‘scamdemic.’ I thought it was an overblown media hoax. I made fun of people for wearing masks."

But by Sunday morning, Green said, he started to feel off. Then his partner did. And his parents. And his father-in-law. 

“I have no idea which one of us brought the virus into the house, but all six of us left with it. It kept spreading from there,” he said.

Green said his symptoms just kept getting worse and worse before he was eventually hospitalized.

“I stayed in the hospital for three days, trying to get my mind around it. It was guilt, embarrassment, shame. I thought: ‘OK. Maybe now I’ve paid for my mistake.’ But it kept getting worse,” he said.

The virus kept spreading, leading to a total of 14 infections in his family. Some got really sick. Others didn’t.

Green’s 52-year-old father-in-law, whom he called his “best friend,” and his father-in-law’s mother both died.

“I break down sometimes, but mostly, I’m empty. Am I glad to be alive? I don’t know. I don’t know how to answer that,” Green said.

Green said he doesn’t know who had the virus first, but he feels a sense of responsibility. “The feeling that I have is kind of like what a drunk driver would have if they killed their family,” he said.