Valued Contributor

Re: Not that anyone cares, but this has been bugging me for awhile now

@GingerPeach wrote:

I get it, @PinkSunset 

I used to work in a place that used a tiger as a mascot for our particular department.  Cool, I thought, that's powerful and meaningful.  Yeah, until a bunch of them decided to put on tiger noses and parade around, and all trooped up to the VP's office, shouting and giggling.  Grown women, not even 20-year olds.  (Nothing against 20-year olds.)

As you can guess, I stayed in my own office.  I never liked those forced office birthday gatherings, either.  Call me curmudgeon, I wear it proudly!  

(I am not sure about David's feelings, [well, how could we be?] but just from watching, it does seem Jane is really into all of this stuff.)

sort of like when they make Walgreens employees wear that Red Nose for a week. Honestly, I imagine that big company executives sit in a high rise tower making decisions and say "hey, let's have our employees wear red clown noses" and then they all sit back and laugh and what they cane make people do so they can earn their salaries.  While the cause they are supporting may be worthy, having your employees have to wear those noses does not motivate me to donate. Again, it's degrading, 

Respected Contributor

QVC Marketing execs must have brainstormed in a meeting and said, "What catch phrase would create a frenzy to increase sales?"   

It did the opposite for me -- please talk to me like an adult, not as an infant.

Honored Contributor

I find it amazing that so many find a silly, harmless, made up word so upsetting.  Its hurts nothing or no one.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I find it amazing that so many find a silly, harmless, made up word so upsetting.  Its hurts nothing or no one.

well maybe deep inside its hurts people like David who has to say that to earn his salary and keep his job. Myabe he doesn't care but again it;s not so much the saying itself that bugs me, it's that employers make adults do things like that just to keep their jobs. Dignity is lost IMO. Gimmics are not necessary to help salesmen make a sale. But then again I;m just the kind of person who likes the facts and get to the point. Tell me the virtues of what I'm buying, give me a fair price and talk to me like an adult, I don't turn to salespeople for fun, I turn to friends, family and my pets for that. 

Esteemed Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

well maybe deep inside its hurts people like David who has to say that to earn his salary and keep his job. Myabe he doesn't care but again it;s not so much the saying itself that bugs me, it's that employers make adults do things like that just to keep their jobs. Dignity is lost IMO. Gimmics are not necessary to help salesmen make a sale. But then again I;m just the kind of person who likes the facts and get to the point. Tell me the virtues of what I'm buying, give me a fair price and talk to me like an adult, I don't turn to salespeople for fun, I turn to friends, family and my pets for that. 

---------------

Exactly!!!  And really, if I want to be entertained...

there are hundreds of other TV channels that I can watch!!

Contributor

I am on the floor laughing!

Esteemed Contributor

@janeec wrote:

Our local TGI Fridays restaurant has had Fri-Yay on the teeshirts of their employees for several years.  It is not new.  As soon as I saw it on the Q I thought they were copying TGI's.  They say doing what somewhat else has done is the most sincerest form of flattery.  

Yes, it's not new.  I've never seen it on shirts at TGIF's, but I have been hearing it for a few years now.  It wasn't made up by QVC.

Respected Contributor

Let's spend our marketing budget dredging up an annoying, unoriginal phase and have hyper hosts yell it out all Friday long...yay team. 

Respected Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

QVC Marketing execs must have brainstormed in a meeting and said, "What catch phrase would create a frenzy to increase sales?"   

It did the opposite for me -- please talk to me like an adult, not as an infant.

I think that every day watching TV ads where we should suspend disbelief for actors or some other pretend nonsense with pounding drums or a clever ear worm  to annoy.  It's always a manipulation, never straightforward plain information, even when using a "you can trust me actor" representing some financial or insurance company.

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

@seaBreeze wrote:

I think that every day watching TV ads where we should suspend disbelief for actors or some other pretend nonsense with pounding drums or a clever ear worm  to annoy.  It's always a manipulation, never straightforward plain information, even when using a "you can trust me actor" representing some financial or insurance company.

@Free2be  Yes to your last sentence. Tom Selleck for one with reverse mortgages.