Honored Contributor

Re: Not just flood water...a toxic soup of chemicals

It is always a good idea to talk out your fears and maybe someone will learn some useful information to keep them safer during disasters.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pitdakota wrote:

Right now I think major concerns are the germs & bacteria that are in the flood water.  There have been multiple people having to walk in that water up to their waists or higher.  If anyone had a scratch, an incision from a recent surgery, or any kind of wound they will be at risk for developing a signficant infection.  As if they didn't have enough to worry about with having to try to get out of their home and get to safety!

Watch out, we have an anti "germaphobe" squad that likes to sneer at anyone who tries to avoid getting sick.  Some say those germs are good for us.

Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

....sometimes, I don't understand where people's brains are. This past week, we experienced flooding in Lee and Collier counties-and parts of Port Charlotte.

Much of Cape Coral is on septic tanks and raw sewage was backing up into people's homes.....

The news showed kids playing in it....granted, there were adults walking in it because they had to get supplies and there was no other way to get around...the flooding was not equivocal to Houston, but it caught us all by surprise-and I am not looking for sympathy.

....I agree with all those who are worried about disease and contagion. Mosquito eggs can hatch in a number of hours given the nice steamy temperatures we are having.-and they have been unusually bad this year in Florida.

Alas, more rain is on the way....

I am seriously worried about trees coming down. Florida has palms everywhere, and their root systems are shallow. It won't take much to bring them down-supersaturated ground can do it.

Poodlepet2

Is this directed at me? I directed my reply at the board. Not those on the ground dealing with this. If you are dealing with this. I suggest you stay off the boards because you have bigger problems. OK? 

Respected Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom, no, it was not directed to you at all-never. I am sorry-I hit the reply button on top. No-not directed at you at all.

In agreement with what you said. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Friendship hug and apology,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota

Our friend is safely out of Houston briefly in San Antonio.

Her husband had to get a shot of rocephin because he has an infection from being in the water -- rescuing neighbors, etc.

Rocephin is a "big antibiotic." Kills off lots of types of bacteria.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom, no, it was not directed to you at all-never. I am sorry-I hit the reply button on top. No-not directed at you at all.

In agreement with what you said. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Friendship hug and apology,

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2  You are a very gracious person.Smiley Happy

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2  I was very impressed after watching the press conference with Tom Bossert, discussing funding. But it could be a slow process when you think about how long these superfund sites take to clean up.  

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

Right now I think major concerns are the germs & bacteria that are in the flood water.  There have been multiple people having to walk in that water up to their waists or higher.  If anyone had a scratch, an incision from a recent surgery, or any kind of wound they will be at risk for developing a signficant infection.  As if they didn't have enough to worry about with having to try to get out of their home and get to safety!

Watch out, we have an anti "germaphobe" squad that likes to sneer at anyone who tries to avoid getting sick.  Some say those germs are good for us.

Hi @Noel7, the bacteria in the flood water are not "good" bacteria.  We do get exposed to all kinds of bacteria every day, but the stuff in this water is a real threat to anyone.  E coli will also be in that water since sewage systems are probably backed up somewhere along the way. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Not to be gruesome or insensitive - but decomposing bodies leach out toxins into flood waters too. 

Just so sad...

Just think of the fertilizer and chemicals that will have washed out of people's garages.  I have a large shed that's full of pesticides and herbicides and other things too. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

It's one of the first things I think of when it comes to flooding...the spread of sickness from the water.  I don't even like swimming in a "clean" public swimming pool. Woman Tongue

@SilleeMee  Now they are talking mosquitoes and Nile virus spreading more rapidly.....

@SeaMaiden @SilleeMee  Have you heard about the mats of fire ants that form and float on the surface of the water? Also Harris County (Houston) has every variety of poisonous snake found in the US. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment