Honored Contributor

Re: Not just flood water...a toxic soup of chemicals

@lovesrecess wrote:

Those cars will make their way to other parts of the country and sold as great deals at auction. There are certain places to check inside a car to see if it has been flooded. You can google it.

@lovesrecess  The VIN can track where the car has been, even if it has been moved from one state to the other.

I know there had been some fraud with cars from Katrina; consumers need to do their homework.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess  There aren't any alligators in the Houston area but there are in Ft. BEND County Southwest of Houston, along the Brazos River.  I've seen many in Brazos Bend State Park but they were small.  Houston can have some very cold, freezing winter weather occasionally.  They do have every variety of venomous snake found in the US, fire ants and killer bees. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Several days ago there was a picture on the Internet showing a mass of fire ants.  God help anyone who comes in contact with that.  Very scary.

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

It's one of the first things I think of when it comes to flooding...the spread of sickness from the water.  I don't even like swimming in a "clean" public swimming pool. Woman Tongue

@SilleeMee  Now they are talking mosquitoes and Nile virus spreading more rapidly.....

@SeaMaiden @SilleeMee  Have you heard about the mats of fire ants that form and float on the surface of the water? Also Harris County (Houston) has every variety of poisonous snake found in the US. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

This hurricane has caused far more devastation than Katrina by every authority's measure so far.

Alligators and water mocassins are also a real danger right now. West Nile virus, Zika virus, dysentery...e coli....best to toss things that have been standing in water...With all the livestock in the area.....everything the water has touched is contaminated. The chemical/ petroleum facilities just add another layer of problems.....not to mention the off-shore petroleum platforms out in the Gulf.

Fortunately, the flood waters are not from the Gulf, but from the heavy rains that came down.  The water is contaminated with everything that it touched on the ground, but not by anything out in the Gulf.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

Did you happen to see the picture of mommy and daddy with a toddler wearing only a diaper taking a walk in the water?  My first thought was is that little one wearing shoes?  You can't see what is in the water and if you don't have to walk in it the best thing one can do is stay out of it.

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

Watching people walking in the flooded streets scares me.  Manhole covers can float off and they could fall in and drown.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

I had a friend who lived near a creek and when it flooded it came up into the house. She even had a snake in the house !

House was a loss.  I would never live near any body of water. Why tempt fate?

**************  DH and I were just talking about this this morning.  Give us a nice lake in-land if we want to be around water. We may have a few tornados and snow here in Indiana, but I would take it anyday over flooding to this magnitude.  I know people love their state and Texan's are great!  Please don't misunderstand.  This may very well happen again.  I mentioned in another post a retired man in Texas that said they are not going to rebuild.  This is the 2nd time in 9 yrs. this has happened.  He is done with it and I don't blame him one bit!  If it were me, I would not build anywhere that wasn't far above sea level. 

Respected Contributor

@jubilant, I have come to the conclusion that there's not one location without problems. We have been hit with hurricanes and have been living in flood prone areas of a coast for 20 years. We have had storm damage, but we didn't lose our home-or have to rebuild.

In the meantime, I have a cousin who has been flooded out twice-lost everything and had to rebuild....she lives in Kentucky....we just never know.....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@jubilant, I have come to the conclusion that there's not one location without problems. We have been hit with hurricanes and have been living in flood prone areas of a coast for 20 years. We have had storm damage, but we didn't lose our home-or have to rebuild.

In the meantime, I have a cousin who has been flooded out twice-lost everything and had to rebuild....she lives in Kentucky....we just never know.....

Poodlepet2

**************** I agree with the fact that there are disasters and "acts of God" everywhere.  We have tornado's here in Indiana but the roads can be made passable fairly swiftly.....(at least so far that is).  I think there will be more and more of these tropical storms along our coasts and my feeling is, "why tempt fate" if you have the means to go elsewhere.

Of course, I do see your point.  I could build a house in the forrest and get burned out. This flooding justs seems like the worst case scenerio to me.  When it floods it just seems everything comes to a standstill for years.

Just like these chemicals we are talking about.  Clean up seems 100 x worse with flooding .  

Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Poodlepet2

*Fires

*Floods

*Hurricanes

*Tornados

*Earthquakes

*Blizzards

Take your pick.

I long, long, long ago came to the conclusion that every place has the potential to have some act of nature happen.