Trusted Contributor

Re: Not just flood water...a toxic soup of chemicals

Makes me think hazmat suits and Boots should be a part of emergency supply kit.  (Waterproof, Chem-proof, fireproof,

maybe Kevlar to protect from cuts, rebreather masks, etc etc) 

Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

All that goes down will come up.  All the sewage, all the garbage, all the nastiest stuff you can imagine will be in that water.  You really don't want to think of what's in there.  You just keep moving thru it and hope for the best. 

I would want something to use as a cane in front of me to make sure I wasn't falling off a curb or into a pot hole.  At the best of times, I worry about fallingSmiley Sad

Are you in that area, @Preds?  

Honored Contributor

The whole situation is absolutely horrible.  It seems like everyone is making a donation whether big or small it all adds up.  The U.S. has never seen such devastation.   Cat Sad

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

There is and will be more lost...lost lives, things, people, pets and worst of all the loss of courage for some to go on. I will pray especially hard for these individuals and pray for all of us and them.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Preds wrote:

All that goes down will come up.  All the sewage, all the garbage, all the nastiest stuff you can imagine will be in that water.  You really don't want to think of what's in there.  You just keep moving thru it and hope for the best. 

I would want something to use as a cane in front of me to make sure I wasn't falling off a curb or into a pot hole.  At the best of times, I worry about fallingSmiley Sad

Are you in that area, @Preds?  

Thankfully, I am not @tansy, but I have been thru it.  Yes, you have no clue what is under or in the water or what has been released into it.  It's  very hazardous, but your instincts help you make it.  Your desire to fix it keeps you going.  You think about it later and wonder how the hades did we do this... and why.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@software wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

Right now I think major concerns are the germs & bacteria that are in the flood water.  There have been multiple people having to walk in that water up to their waists or higher.  If anyone had a scratch, an incision from a recent surgery, or any kind of wound they will be at risk for developing a signficant infection.  As if they didn't have enough to worry about with having to try to get out of their home and get to safety!

@pitdakotaThis is exactly what I have been seeing-the risk of infection.  They are advising that people get out of wet clothing and rinse as soon as possible-but where???

I also thought that the mosquitoes exploded in numbers after Katrina.

Even in our sunny days we are advised to never let standing water stay in outside planters, etc.

People breathing in mold when returning to their home? 

Not to mention that some people have ground wells for their water supplies. 

Not sure how long it takes for mold to grow but hopefully people can get the drywall/sheetrock out before the mold grows.

Then the framing has to be treated to retard any future mold growth, then new drywall.

In some neighborhoods, the water is going down.    That's good news, people can start drying out their homes and pulling out the drywall before the mold grows.

@software, I don't know exactly how they build homes in Texas and if that is signficantly different than this area but.....there is a considerable about of wood in the frame of the houses here and support beams to support ceilings, upper floors, etc.  Wood wicks water up.  Amazingly so.  I would think quite a bit of that wood will have to be removed which would be in addition to sheet rock and drywall. 

Like I said, not sure how long it takes for the mold to grow but if the water is receding fairly quickly for some, only the drywall will need to be replaced.   And while the drywall is off, the wood framing can be treated.   I know it takes quite a bit of time for mold to harm the wood framing.  The mold will be on the wood but if the homeowner can expose it quickly, the mold can be killed, the wood treated.   And yes, some of the wood may need to go but maybe not in the majority of cases.   I know in some neighborhoods, the water came up then went right down, others weren't so fortunate.

Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom, no, it was not directed to you at all-never. I am sorry-I hit the reply button on top. No-not directed at you at all.

In agreement with what you said. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Friendship hug and apology,

Poodlepet2

No apology needed @Poodlepet2 I apologize for being too sensitive. HeartWoman Happy

Respected Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom, no need to apologize...this whole thing is affecting our national psyche....while we empathise with those affected, it exposes our own vulnerabilities.

I know this is getting to me emotionally, and here in Florida, we were inundated with news about flooding in Texas-but flooding here as well....and now, there's another monster storm brewing and the hurricane experts are not being quiet about it.

On Monday, I am planning to refresh supplies.

Today, I'm going to unplug from the news a bit-but not too much.

We are going to have heavy rain-again and our terrain is already supersaturated.

Take care dear friend.....l love that we can all share thoughts and feelings here.

I am alone during the day, and I feel this gives me a sense of community and belonging.

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2 you are welcome and thank you. Wishes to you for a quiet weekend and a happy fall season that is right around the corner!21078814_789225037916856_7609287709959466697_n.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@trenet wrote:

Makes me think hazmat suits and Boots should be a part of emergency supply kit.  (Waterproof, Chem-proof, fireproof,

maybe Kevlar to protect from cuts, rebreather masks, etc etc) 

Yes, especially when the cleanup starts.  Lots of toxins in floodwaters.