Honored Contributor

Re: Not even if they dropped me in by helicopter

[ Edited ]

Do they have enough honey buckets  for a  crowd that size?  I bet a lot of people just go wherever they want to.....

Honored Contributor

I think the modern-day Times Square New Year's Eve frenzy is fueled by the selfie and Instagram generation. They want to brag: "Look at me!!" "Guess where l am!!" That's not my thing, lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@esmerelda - I don't want to post a link because I don't know what's allowed and  what isn't as far as side ads but if you google The Man Behind the Times Square Ball the story will come up.  It's interesting.

@CelticCrafterThanks so much for making that suggestion.  I'll be looking at the ball differently this year.  Woman Happy

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always wanted to be in the middle of that crowd in NYC. Wish id have done it when younger. I couldnt do it now with my bad back, and also then I heard they wear diapers to stand there all that time, so no thanks! lol. (and PS I am claustrophobic too, but not in crowds. I hate elevators and MRI machines).. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@gidgetgh what you said!

I'll add to that what DH says... "What happens if you're in that crowd and you suddenly urgently need to go to the restroom?" 

@Texasmouse I'd ike to know that too!  Oh la la.

See my earlier post.  My experience was they relived themselves as necessary...on the street, turning their backs or not. 

I did not see any woman doing this, however.

Super Contributor

Especially if they dropped me in by helicopter!  

Honored Contributor

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/12/dont-go-out-new-years-eve/578836/

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

I've done the Times Square NYE's experience twice.  (once in college and again early in our marriage)

Back then there were not the mobs and security. You were not penned in and you could "hold" a person's place. Restaurants and bars let you use their facilities.  There were also portable potties.

Now I'm just too old to want to stand anywhere for hours on end.

Honored Contributor

I could deal with going pee in a depends, but not the latter.

Trusted Contributor

This is the ONLY way I would do it, and I think it would be fun.

Find a hotel that faces Times Square, so you would be looking out over the crowd from one of the hotel rooms.

Probably would have to book it 2 years in advance, and it would cost a gazillion dollars, but if a few people got together it would cut the per person price.

That way, you get best of all of it. You are safe indoors, you could people watch from above (which I think would be so much fun, watching all the crazy people doing crazy things). You could be having dinner and snacks in your room, be in PJ's if you wish, and just hang out.

You would also be able to have the TV on at the same time so you could still see and hear all the music from the various stages. That to me would be great, because when you are on the ground, you have to figure out what stage you want to be near and that is the only band you see. Being inside, you would have the benefit of seeing ALL the musical entertainment on TV (while people watching out the window).

Then at midnight you would have a great view of the ball dropping, and not be caught up in the mass exodus of the people below. You can carry on with your personal party, or just go to bed.

To me, THAT would be enjoyable. It is on my busket list, but not high up on it. Maybe someday I will do it, but until then, I would never, ever go stand for more than 12 hours to watch a 10 second ball drop.