Honored Contributor

Re: Not enough medical equipment

This thread is the same as all the other panic-themed threads on this forum.

Look at this forum.  Really take a look at it. 

Flooded with the same posts over and over again.

Somebody always the first to rush to post about Florida, or Ohio, or PA, or wherever.  People need to pay attention to their own local situations.

Or the threads about dentists and other medical appts. being canceled.

And the point is???

I don't want to hear about passing by.  Open those threads-because as always here come those in a panic and scared etc. etc. etc. who have nothing to do with the particular state or a dentist or whatever.

Those knocking down @goldensrbest are the same ones posting on those exact same threads.

"I heard"

"I believe"

"I think"

"I can't find TP"

On and on and on.

There are posters who deal with depression, anxiety, being alone-I care about them.  The rest is just saying something for the sake of saying something.

I've posted about Food Banks so show of hands-who has donated?

Yeah, just as I thought.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

VE, you should know the difference between being an alarmist and being a realist. 

QVC Customer Care

Valued Contributor

As of yesterday at 4 pm according to the CDC, not quite 3,500 cases of covid-19 have been reported in the US. This is about .002% of the total US population. (According to my math, which could be suspect.). I know this could change quickly, and I know if you are a victim numbers don't mean much. 

I know several RNs who are still working, one of whom is my daughter. We have 5 MDs in my family from Virginia to Colorado. Hospitals are gearing up, doing teleconferencing for information and trading of ideas, ordering supplies, and working with staff to make sure things are covered as far as care.

The ones I've talked with say it could be serious, but they are confident in the steps being taken. They didn't say it would be easy, but neither are any in a panic. They are feeling more confident as time goes on. I know some people don't like to hear things like that, I know things can change quickly, but I'm a much happier person when I dwell on the positive. 

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Somebody always the first to rush to post about Florida, or Ohio, or PA, or wherever.  People need to pay attention to their own local situations.

And the point is???

I don't want to hear about passing by.  Open those threads-because as always here come those in a panic and scared etc. etc. etc. who have nothing to do with the particular state or a dentist or whatever.

Those knocking down @goldensrbest are the same ones posting on those exact same threads.

"I heard"

"I believe"

"I think"

"I can't find TP"

On and on and on.

There are posters who deal with depression, anxiety, being alone-I care about them.  The rest is just saying something for the sake of saying something.

Yeah, just as I thought.

I know MANY people who are donating and helping others. Many do it anonymously not looking for accolades.  I saw no need for you to post what you did. 

Esteemed Contributor

Perspective to a news story here?

Yesterday, I tried to give perspective on the difference between Italy and the United States vis a vis COVID-19.  I did not include my opinions or political view.

I was almost immediately told that the statistics were wrong and from an unreliable, biased source.

Discussion impossible.

How does one deal with that here?  You can't.

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Perspective to a news story here?

Yesterday, I tried to give perspective on the difference between Italy and the United States vis a vis COVID-19.  I did not include my opinions or political view.

I was almost immediately told that the statistics were wrong and from an unreliable, biased source.

Discussion impossible.

How does one deal with that here?  You can't.

That would require people to think rather than blindly follow.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Wow, here we go again, people keep informed,watch the news, it was on cnn this morning. 

@goldensrbest 

Now I understand. I'll continue to get my info elsewhere. Journalists are not my most trusted source.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

And the point is???

"I heard"

"I believe"

"I think"

"I can't find TP"

On and on and on.

Yeah, just as I thought.

I know MANY people who are donating and helping others. Many do it anonymously not looking for accolades.  I saw no need for you to post what you did. 

@RetRN   It doesn't matter that you saw no need to post what I did.

Of course people do things without posting.  My point was how about we focus on the GOOD being done instead of stepping all over @goldensrbest  who isn't doing anything that others have done.

Fair is fair.  We have doomsday threads all over this forum and some of those trashing her are hand-wringing on others.

I "get" her.  I "get" her posts.  I "get" how she expresses herself.  I also know she is alone now and that can certainly be something to express some empathy.

There are happenings in my state and those are for ME to handle; posting about them is just dead chatter.  Means nothing to anybody else.

People-stay tuned to yours state/county/area.  Of course this is a national issue; but really-do we need to hear every appt. canceled, every update on stats for every state-it's out there.

Sheesh.  These threads are mono-toned with repetitive posts and "facts".

If it isn't such a big deal, then why so many threads and posts?

Because whether some will admit to it or not, they are in a panic or at least their concern level is rising.

Much easier to slam this OP as a group then run over to another thread and do the exact same thing.

If my son gets this, his % of fatality is extremely high.

If DH gets this, his % of fatality is high.

So yes, I have a stake in this. But I can also try to help others calm their fears.  Fear is real and a normal reaction to a crisis.

Instead of bashing her, how about helping her see some positive about the topic?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

"There are so many who are not taking any of this seriously. We still have people right here on this forum who are sharing that they plan on doing everything exactly the same."

Sorry @Trinity11 

I am 1 of the people you mention. Exactly the same varies the same as our weather here in Nebraska. "My same" is not the same as "others same" that post on this forum.

Could list what I do fairly regular on a daily basis, but to most it would be boring. I will continue to promote the same businesses as usual, if they are open, and proceed with my other patterns of living each day.

I AM taking this seriously, that however does not require me to completely change my daily life. That is being done by our local/state and federal administrators.

For me, not knowing each posters daily lives, prohibits me from judging them when they say they are "doing things exactly the same". Their "same" is probably not "my same", and it is their decision to make, not mine.

Will that endanger others? I have no idea, nor does anyone else unless they know them personally, not via electronic means. 

The only life I can control now and in other past and/or future days, is mine, and I plan on continuing to do just that.

I know you have many health issues and I sincerely wish you the very best.

JOhn(hckynut)

hckynut(john)