Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,511
Registered: β€Ž07-26-2014

😎 Not 1 but 3 wills found! 😎

_107042624_franklin.jpg

Aretha Franklin left behind three handwritten wills in her home

 

When soul legend Aretha Franklin died last summer, her family said she left no will divvying up her $80 million estate β€” it turns out she left behind three, including one tucked under a cushion in her living room Smiley LOL, family lawyers revealed Monday.
Several handwritten wills were found in the superstar’s home outside of Detroit β€” nearly a year after she died of pancreatic cancer in August 2018, her estate’s attorney David Bennett said Monday.
Two of the wills from 2010 were found in a locked cabinet in the Queen of Soul’s house after a key to the dresser was discovered.
A third dating to 2014 β€” the most recent of the bunch from β€” was found under cushions in Franklin’s living room, the lawyer said.
Although some of the writing β€” which includes scratched-out text and notes in the margins β€” is hard to decipher, the documents appear to give her assets to her family members.
The wills were found earlier this month, the lawyer said, and family members previously believed she left no documents related to how her possessions should be divided up.
Bennett filed the wills in court on Monday, but he said he’s not sure if they legally binding under Michigan law. Two of her sons object to the wills, the family said in a statement. A hearing is set for June 12.
Franklin left behind an estimated $80 million estate.
The IRS said in December that the estate owed $6.3 million in unpaid income taxes, but Bennett said at the time it had paid at least $3 million of the debt.

 

Article from Apple News

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,867
Registered: β€Ž05-10-2010

Re: 😎 Not 1 but 3 wills found! 😎

That's probably worse for potential heirs than if she had left no will at all.  It amazes me that people who are so wealthy can be so clueless when it comes to their wills and their estates.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,175
Registered: β€Ž03-10-2010

Re: 😎 Not 1 but 3 wills found! 😎

Wow, the un paid taxes!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,564
Registered: β€Ž03-10-2010

Re: 😎 Not 1 but 3 wills found! 😎

@Mz iMac  Wow. This will likely be tied up in court for years.......not good for anyone, except maybe the lawyers.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,793
Registered: β€Ž08-08-2010

Re: 😎 Not 1 but 3 wills found! 😎


@Chrystaltree wrote:

That's probably worse for potential heirs than if she had left no will at all.  It amazes me that people who are so wealthy can be so clueless when it comes to their wills and their estates.  


 

I'm not sure it is clueless. 

 

For some, it's a game. For others they don't care. Others are just obstinate and going to to whatever they want, some just not right minded. 

 

I'm sure there are many old well off people who think they made their fortune, and so can their offspring, so don't care if they leave things in good order or not.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 577
Registered: β€Ž03-11-2010

Re: 😎 Not 1 but 3 wills found! 😎

I  "LOVED'  Areytha Franklin, and her music.   

Valued Contributor
Posts: 592
Registered: β€Ž01-03-2011

Re: 😎 Not 1 but 3 wills found! 😎


@mominohio wrote:

@Chrystaltree wrote:

That's probably worse for potential heirs than if she had left no will at all.  It amazes me that people who are so wealthy can be so clueless when it comes to their wills and their estates.  


 

I'm not sure it is clueless. 

 

For some, it's a game. For others they don't care. Others are just obstinate and going to to whatever they want, some just not right minded. 

 

I'm sure there are many old well off people who think they made their fortune, and so can their offspring, so don't care if they leave things in good order or not.


I would think that if somebody didn't want their children or others to inherit -- the way to do it would be by writing a will that was as ironclad as possible -- not by leaving a mess.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,469
Registered: β€Ž03-09-2010

Re: 😎 Not 1 but 3 wills found! 😎

I don't get it. 

 

We just had new wills made up and the first paragraph revokes all previous wills and codicils.  Do different rules apply to celebrities?

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,949
Registered: β€Ž03-13-2010

Re: 😎 Not 1 but 3 wills found! 😎


@Mz iMac wrote:

_107042624_franklin.jpg

Aretha Franklin left behind three handwritten wills in her home

 

When soul legend Aretha Franklin died last summer, her family said she left no will divvying up her $80 million estate β€” it turns out she left behind three, including one tucked under a cushion in her living room Smiley LOL, family lawyers revealed Monday.
Several handwritten wills were found in the superstar’s home outside of Detroit β€” nearly a year after she died of pancreatic cancer in August 2018, her estate’s attorney David Bennett said Monday.
Two of the wills from 2010 were found in a locked cabinet in the Queen of Soul’s house after a key to the dresser was discovered.
A third dating to 2014 β€” the most recent of the bunch from β€” was found under cushions in Franklin’s living room, the lawyer said.
Although some of the writing β€” which includes scratched-out text and notes in the margins β€” is hard to decipher, the documents appear to give her assets to her family members.
The wills were found earlier this month, the lawyer said, and family members previously believed she left no documents related to how her possessions should be divided up.
Bennett filed the wills in court on Monday, but he said he’s not sure if they legally binding under Michigan law. Two of her sons object to the wills, the family said in a statement. A hearing is set for June 12.
Franklin left behind an estimated $80 million estate.
The IRS said in December that the estate owed $6.3 million in unpaid income taxes, but Bennett said at the time it had paid at least $3 million of the debt.

 

Article from Apple News


When dad had his will done - I went with him when he picked it up and I told dad I was glad he made the will.  His lawyer said he didn't have one - he didn't care if his kids all fought over money or possessions - I was speechless but figured there must have been some back story in that family.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,175
Registered: β€Ž03-10-2010

Re: 😎 Not 1 but 3 wills found! 😎


@Financialgrl wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

_107042624_franklin.jpg

Aretha Franklin left behind three handwritten wills in her home

 

When soul legend Aretha Franklin died last summer, her family said she left no will divvying up her $80 million estate β€” it turns out she left behind three, including one tucked under a cushion in her living room Smiley LOL, family lawyers revealed Monday.
Several handwritten wills were found in the superstar’s home outside of Detroit β€” nearly a year after she died of pancreatic cancer in August 2018, her estate’s attorney David Bennett said Monday.
Two of the wills from 2010 were found in a locked cabinet in the Queen of Soul’s house after a key to the dresser was discovered.
A third dating to 2014 β€” the most recent of the bunch from β€” was found under cushions in Franklin’s living room, the lawyer said.
Although some of the writing β€” which includes scratched-out text and notes in the margins β€” is hard to decipher, the documents appear to give her assets to her family members.
The wills were found earlier this month, the lawyer said, and family members previously believed she left no documents related to how her possessions should be divided up.
Bennett filed the wills in court on Monday, but he said he’s not sure if they legally binding under Michigan law. Two of her sons object to the wills, the family said in a statement. A hearing is set for June 12.
Franklin left behind an estimated $80 million estate.
The IRS said in December that the estate owed $6.3 million in unpaid income taxes, but Bennett said at the time it had paid at least $3 million of the debt.

 

Article from Apple News


When dad had his will done - I went with him when he picked it up and I told dad I was glad he made the will.  His lawyer said he didn't have one - he didn't care if his kids all fought over money or possessions - I was speechless but figured there must have been some back story in that family.


Are you talking of your dad? Don't get your post.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.