Frequent Contributor

Nostalgia post back to school memories

Seeing the kids go back to school makes me remember what it was like for me. We started back half days on the Thursday and Friday before Labor Day. The Tuesday after Labor Day was our first full day.

I always got 5 new dresses from Robert Hall (anyone remember that store?), new underwear, new socks and new shoes. One pair of school shoes and one pair of Keds.

School supplies were always such fun, new erasers, new pencils and crayons. And a pack of 3 hole paper. Those old paper folders, one color for each subject.

I lived closed enough to the school that I walked home for lunch every day unless it was too cold. Then we had permission to eat lunch at school. Milk tickets were 3 cents!

In the fall, the field by the school was full of stickers, so every day, we had to pull those things out of our socks!  

No AC in the school,  but we never noticed. One morning, one lunch, and one afternoon recess. We had all the playground equipment like monkey bars, merry-go-rounds, swings, and teeter-totters. 

For Halloween, we dressed up and then did a parade through all the classrooms. 

Good memories from small town Midwest. What are your memories?

Honored Contributor

Re: Nostalgia post back to school memories

oh my gosh you are bring back many memories for me.

was in grade school from early 50's to mid 60's (graduate from high school).

my parents paid a stipend to the school (catholic grade) for meals/milk. each week the child had to bring in money for stipend. One time I lost the money. my parents , you don't even want to know what they did to me for that big boo-boo. back then $ 1.75 was a whole lot of money so you hung onto that money with your life.

I do remember Robert Hall store.  We got 1 pair of school shoes ( usually junky loafers) and 1 pair of sneakers for gym class.  we had to wear while ankle socks, we did not have uniforms in grade school but we did have to wear uniforms in high school.

we got all our school supplies at Kressegs, or woolworth's.  binders and folders and pens and paper wide lined rules and notebooks in older grade/high school. 

I live close enough to both schools i walked too and from school daily. we could not go home for lunch during grade and high school. we got to school about 730am and stayed till 3pm or so. high school was 7am to 4pm even went to school on saturday during freshman  year at high school, the school was so overwhelmed with students there wasn't enough room for all the students we freshman were chosen to do school 6 days a week. 

Esteemed Contributor

omg....robert hall.....way back in the 60's!!

Frequent Contributor

School bells ringing

children singing

its back to Robert Hall again.

mother knows

for better clothes

its back to Robert Hall again.

just looked that up on the internet. Les Paul and Mary Ford sang the jingle!!

Esteemed Contributor

Exactly the same as yours, @dragonflyveb!  The grade school I attended was the same one my mother did and also my daughter. 

They used to flood the ball field behind the school to make a great ice skating rink.  We were able to walk from our home and skate for hours.  They had a warming house. 

AHHH memories.  We weren't afraid, even though I am sure that bad things happened.  Simpler times for sure. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

I did very well in school but hated every minute of it.  The only thing I liked was getting new school supplies.  I have two very strong memories about back to school time.  The first was the TV Guide Fall Preview Edition.  When that arrived I knew the party was almost over.  The second was the Jerry Lewis Telethon.  Always over Labor Day weekend and we went back to school the following day.  That was like a shot to my heart!  LOL!!  Even now -- in my 60's -- when this time of year rolls around -- I am still thankful not to be going back to school!

Honored Contributor

I do not have one fond memory of elementary school ( and I was a straight A student, for the most part.)  This was in the 60s, when the teachers were allowed to be mean.  Being a sensitive kid, school caused me a lot of anxiety.  

I'm one of those people who would never want to go back to being a kid.  I often hear others say things like, "Oh, to be a kid again!!", and think to myself, No Way!!!

Honored Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

I did very well in school but hated every minute of it.  The only thing I liked was getting new school supplies.  I have two very strong memories about back to school time.  The first was the TV Guide Fall Preview Edition.  When that arrived I knew the party was almost over.  The second was the Jerry Lewis Telethon.  Always over Labor Day weekend and we went back to school the following day.  That was like a shot to my heart!  LOL!!  Even now -- in my 60's -- when this time of year rolls around -- I am still thankful not to be going back to school!

I so agree @judy0330. Didn’t like taking classes like math and science...grades reflected that. Kept saying, “When will I ever need to know this stuff”? 

Honored Contributor

Oooops. @LTT1 hearted my post about not needing math & science. As it turned out, use both to make jewelry. Tell that to students. You never know.

Honored Contributor

@dragonflyveb@Shanus@faeriemoon@judy0330@tends2dogs

I remember (1960)

Gentle Texas mornings walking down the street to my school

The smell of mimeographed handouts

The smell and taste of lunches in my metal lunchbox

my friends in grade school

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~