Super Contributor

Re: Norwegian Cruise Drops Joan Rivers After Kidnapping Joke

On 5/3/2014 ivey said:
On 5/3/2014 NoelSeven said:

What happened to those three girls was horrifying. They will never get over it and their entire lives will be a day by day struggle.

There are just some things you shouldn't joke about. We can all think of a few others.

Just imagine, if you were one of those three girls or their family, how you would feel knowing you were the butt of jokes from stage to cruise ship. That your horror, your torture was fodder for hilarity.

I just don't understand why Joan doesn't apologize for her comment. Doesn't she feel bad for the ladies? You know, sometimes you have to own up and say "I was wrong." That, to me, speaks more about her character than anything else. Instead, she just keeps coming with the zingers.

Some people can never admit when they are wrong, I guess. What a way to live. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Super Contributor

I think it was an appropriate response for her actions.

Respected Contributor

It's surprising to me that at her age she doesn't want to make it right. I'd hate to be her and die with this thing looming over her. She will be remembered for it.

Esteemed Contributor

Jokes are supposed to be funny. Her comment was not funny in the least.

DH and I saw JR in the 80s. She was funny then and not at all mean. The older she has gotten, the meaner she has gotten. Too bad.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Super Contributor

On 5/3/2014 MamaWick said:

Jokes are supposed to be funny. Her comment was not funny in the least.

DH and I saw JR in the 80s. She was funny then and not at all mean. The older she has gotten, the meaner she has gotten. Too bad.

ITA MamaWick!!! I have watched Joan over the years, and while I know some of her jokes are tasteless, she has always been known for that raw type of humor. However, I was watching the Today Show when she made that comment and my jaw dropped... I wasn't sure I heard her correctly, and then to see how uncomfortable the show hosts were, it was just such a horrible moment. The worst part is she says things that are inappropriate, but she had a chance to apologize and attempt to make it better, yet she continued with more vile and insensitive comments. I will no longer watch her, her "humor" is just not my style.

Respected Contributor

I remember the last time she got into trouble over the tasteless and thoughtless joke she made about (wasn't it Heidi Klum?). Something about ""the ovens"". IMO the holocaust is not something to make fun about.

Respected Contributor

JR's not the first and won't be the last to tell offensive "jokes."

As for anyone "demanding an apology," give me a very large break. She is a comedian. If she did anything right here, it was not succumbing to pressure for an apology which probably would only have been perfunctory, anyway.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

On 5/3/2014 Moonlady said:

JR's not the first and won't be the last to tell offensive "jokes."

As for anyone "demanding an apology," give me a very large break. She is a comedian. If she did anything right here, it was not succumbing to pressure for an apology which probably would only have been perfunctory, anyway.

Other than from possibly a child, I do not understand the value of a meaningless forced apology.
Honored Contributor

The cruise industry needs to be way more concerned about passengers disappearing or falling overboard rather than what one person says imo.

Respected Contributor

Sydney, you are so right! And if they are "family friendly" they shouldn't have booked Joan in the first place. I wouldn't get on any water craft with management that pays little attention to their own values and questionable obligations to customers.

How many booked because Joan would be there? LOL