Honored Contributor

Re: Northgate mall - Seattle

Thanks for posting this.  Very, very, sad.  Beyond sad, really.   I see these articles and I just want to cry.  I realize that people for the most part just want to stay home and shop. I get that a lot of people can't get out to shop and shopping on-line is really a God send. But even as I read these articles and I hear the news about all these stores and malls closing --- more and more all the time --- I just can't wrap my head around it.

I think --- don't people like to go to the malls any more???  I mean for me, it's never been all about just purely shopping.  For me, for my family and friends, going to the mall, has been over the years, a social thing, a fun experience.  We would get together, plan a mall trip, spend hours, window shopping, making a few purchases, having lunch and just people watching.  I feel so sad that this part of American life seems to be ending.  

I also feel very bad for people losing their jobs.  And the closing of all of these stores and malls locally is so bad for the local economy.

Around me, we lost one very nice mall a few years ago.  Another close mall is struggling and stores seems to be closing in it more and more.  I don't know if it will make it.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@TY wrote:

I grew up in a Tacoma, WA suburb and my mom used to work at Nordstrom at the Tacoma mall. I have fond memories of shopping there as a student but Nordstrom took forever to come to Vancouver, B.C. only 4 years ago and the store never lived up to the hype and reputation that preceeded their arrival. 

I just visited my relatives in Tacoma and the drive down I-5 on Friday was a traffic nightmare, especially through Seattle and Tacoma. Downtown Seattle may only be 7 miles from Northgate but it took us 40 minutes in bumper to bumper traffic to navigate that stretch of I-5 and about the same amount of time to go from Federal Way to Tacoma, again in bumper to bumper traffic on I-5 due to ongoing freeway construction that has been going on for 6 years and counting. There is no way I would drive the interstate to get to any mall in the Seattle or Tacoma area. I can imagine that traffic like that would deter most people from driving to a mall too.

Depends on the time of day you are driving.

Honored Contributor

I have not been to a mall in over 20 years. Why would I when I can click and ship?

Honored Contributor

Happy to say that malls in the tri-state area seem to be doing well. I enjoy walking in a mall where it is climate controlled. I prefer seeing what I am buying and since I am fussy about fit, trying things on make for no returns.

Respected Contributor

@godi wrote:

Boy how we have changed. Gone are the days of being excited to go to the mall. Now we just click a few keys and viola it’s on your porch. Brick and mortar is slowly going away. 😢

My husband says this all the time.

Respected Contributor

@TY wrote:

As Northgate mall loses its tenants, take a look at the photos about it on the Business Insider website.

https://www.businessinsider.com/americas-first-mall-northgate-mall-seattle-dying-photos-2019-7

Northgate was the first indoor enclosed mall in the U.S. and is being redeveloped but for now it looks like a ghost town.

Our local mall is struggling.  So many stores are pulling out/not renewing their lease.  There are plans to re-vamp and add a park and apartments/condos but that is years away and I worry what will be left by then.  However, they continue to build "outdoor" malls, with very high end stores and prices.  These also have swanky hotels next door and residences above the stores and townhomes.  I really don't go there because it's too expensive.  $10 for a small scoop of ice cream, $30 plus dollars for a small pizza and the clothing is way out of my price comfort.

Respected Contributor

I think people forget how changes in shopping patterns have occurred many times.

In the 60s and 70s when indoor malls became popular, people bemoaned the loss of "downtown" shopping. 

...and for awhile, downtown areas were ghost towns.

Now, downtown areas are going through somewhat of a revival--at least they are here in the Phoenix area. Younger people are moving into new high rise apartments and condos that are near the business district.

Malls may have lived out the useful lives. Some will survive, but the cycle continues.  Something new will be coming.

Trusted Contributor

Same where I am!  They just closed a nice little mall with a Macys and a JCPenney that was very close to me.  That one broke my heart.  I shopped there a lot over the years and now I have to travel a few miles further for both of those stores.

I love a good mall to walk around in.   On line shopping is convenient but not as much fun!  Woman Wink

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have not been to a mall in over 20 years. Why would I when I can click and ship?

I agree partially because driving around trying to locate what you're looking for is a pain. All you have to do is an online search and there it is. However, I am a hands on shopper for a lot of things, so I appreciate the brick and mortar stores as well. I also like the concept of shopping online and then picking the item up at the store without paying shipping or handling. Pier 1 is a place I do that with. It's very convenient. I also prefer to try on clothes and shoes before I buy them. I see nothing wrong with apartments or condos above the establishments, but then don't run the establishments out of the mall. I would think it would be advantageous to both residents and stores to have them all in the same complex.

I haven't heard anything about Westfield Mall at SouthCenter. They seem to be busy any time I've been there. It's tricky finding parking because it's so full. I haven't been up to Alderwood in over a year, so I don't know what their fate is either. I love shopping in downtown Seattle, but let's face it, there is no free parking there, unlike the malls.

Honored Contributor

Our local mall looks the same way-it isn't as big as this one, has only one story, but it used to be big business, had 4 big anchor stores and the little stores did huge business, but by and by all of the anchor stores closed and now there are a few small stores, along with a couple of chain stores inside, but it used to be on a Saturday Afternoon, you sometimes couldn't even find good parking, now take your pick!

Very sad, and they just revamped the inside, but unfortunately that is not going to help sales....A matter  of time before it closes down for good-so sad!