Occasional Visitor

Northern Nights 600 TC Egyptian cotton sheets

I recently received the TSV Northern Night sheets.  I thought by watching the presentation they would be soft.  After washing I found they were not soft and after making bed,  rough and  when any movement was made, seemed noisy!  Can someone recommend the softest sheets of all cotton?

Respected Contributor

Re: Northern Nights 600 TC Egyptian cotton sheets

Sorry to say I was disappointed in these as well.  

As far as your request for suggestions for cotton sheets my fav is from Ralph Lauren but they are not cheap and I did not buy them at the Q.  

I have recently gotten some microfiber sheets from the the Q that I am loving and have reordered.  Unless you can only use 100% cotton you might like to try these.  

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Hate to hear your review.  I ordered these as well.  May I suggest you run the sheets through a wash cycle without any detergent?  I have found with some sheets the manufacturer uses so much sizing it takes a couple of times through before it's removed.  Hope they get better.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh darn, I'm sorry to hear this, as I ordered them too!  I was hoping they'd be a good replacement from my 10-12 y.o. Amadeus (remember that brand from Q?) sheets from the Q. I LOVED Amadeus sheets, silky soft, cool to the skin, so beautiful, (don't even recall thread count, but I'm sure it was back in the day when 400 was a lot.) I was hoping these Northern Night sheets would be a good replacement, as the pink Amadeus set I own could use replacing since the fitted sheet elastic has finally gotten loose. I'll have to see when the Northern Nights ones arrive if I have same impression as others do here. One thing...once I had seen Jill present some other sheets last year and asked her on Facebook if they were a good replacement for the Amadeus ones, don't recall which those were, but they were also Northern Nights....she said those might be, but she also recommended I might like the Scott Brother's tencel sheets.  So to the poster who's asking, you might try those, as tencel is known to be (pricey but..) very silky soft.  Darn, I hate paying shipping costs if I have to send these back...

Esteemed Contributor

For soft, I love flannel year round.  The better they are (6 oz is good) the softer they get.  

Respected Contributor

J C Penney - percale sheets.  Pricey, but they never wear out. I've had a set for 20 years and they are so smooth and silky I am dreading the day I have to replace them.  I am very careful when washing them after all these years. 

Esteemed Contributor

Several years ago, I ordered the Amadeus Sheet Set from the Q - and after washing/drying, they literally shredded on my bed. I should have returned, but I tossed them out.

I have many Northern Nights Wrinkle Defense sheetsets, 400 thread count. I find them very soft. Best to read the reviews on line. I once ordered 2 northern nights pillow cases - and they're rough as could be. They're sitting in my linen closet - I'll toss them next.

You don't know from one set to the next.

Respected Contributor

Thanks brandywine and amyb I’ll keep trying with the Egyptian cotton sheets. Mother used to say the more times you wash cotton the softer it feels. I like to soak cotton in Downy as well and you can’t do that with the bamboo sheets. I just haven’t taken the time.

I do love the weight of the northern nights and the solid pink color is a fav. 

And yes, I fondly remember the Amadeus sheets but sadly these are not the same. 

Thanks y’all for your input. It sounds like we all like nice bedding. 

Frequent Contributor

For what it's worth, one old remedy for scratchy sheets is to wash the sheets in plain cold water with a cup of baking soda followed by a cup of vingear in the rinse. (Google soften scratchy sheets.) Best done at first wash rather than after they have been washed with detergent then dried. I got a set of Wamsutta Pimacot that was scratchy. I washed them a couple of times in the baking soda and vinegar rinse and they are softer. Not as soft as I'd like, but okay. 

Super Contributor

I was tempted but passed on this TSV, as I never found any QVC sheets to be as soft as I like. I buy mine from The Company Store, 100% Supima Cotton, 600 and up thread count, unbelievably soft and last for years. They are expensive (I pay about $100 for one king fitted sheet) and worth every penny!