Trusted Contributor

Northern Lights / Aurora Borealis - would like to see them

Hubby and I would like to do something different this year for a December trip and travel to a place where the Northern Lights can be seen.

We usually travel around the last two weeks in Dec and sometimes into the first week in January.

For those of you live or have traveled to where the lights can be seen, would we have a decent chance of seeing them at that time of the year?

We were considering traveling to Alaska or Canada but I'd welcome any recommendations - even if the answer is that wouldn't be a good time to go.

I know that seeing them is never guarenteed.

Super Contributor

Re: Northern Lights / Aurora Borealis - would like to see them

Have you considered Iceland?  When I see pictures of Iceland it looks like someplace I would love to visit.

Trusted Contributor

@karlam I have read that Iceland is a good choice. But usually our time is limited so I'd prefer to stick a little closer to home (this time!).

Esteemed Contributor

This is a trip that my husband and I definitely want to take, so I keep a file on everything that I find out about the Northern Lights.  Tromso, Norway is considered the best place to see them.  In the United States, Fairbanks is considered the best but also Glacier National Park and Minnesota.  Cherry Springs State Park in Pennsylvania has also reported many viewings of them. You have to be away from any city lights and they are usually best seen after midnight.

WOW Airlines has trips and there are other travel agencies that specialize in trips to see them.

You can also check out Fodor's Travel for info.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Canadian Space Agency maintains an observatory for observing the Northern Lights at Yellow Knife (a city) on Great Slave Lake in Canada.  During the winter you can watch semi-live with a 30 second delay.

I believe you have a good chance of seeing them in any extremely North artic location.  There are periods when they're more active than others. You would of course want comfortable, warm acomodations, and for that, I'd contact a travel agent.

Heres a link to the CSA observatory which is now closed but you can view it later.

Click Here

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sandraskates wrote:

@karlam I have read that Iceland is a good choice. But usually our time is limited so I'd prefer to stick a little closer to home (this time!).

Without knowing where you live, I wouldn't take Iceland off the list so quickly.  I just checked and, from my location in the middle of the country, it would take less time to fly to Reykjavic than Anchorage, nonstop.

Of course, I'm sure anyplace you choose would be wonderful.  I've never been to any of the locations.

Trusted Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

@sandraskates wrote:

Without knowing where you live, I wouldn't take Iceland off the list so quickly.  I just checked and, from my location in the middle of the country, it would take less time to fly to Reykjavic than Anchorage, nonstop.

Of course, I'm sure anyplace you choose would be wonderful.  I've never been to any of the locations.

I am in California. There was a slim possibility of seeing them here earlier this year, but it didn't materialize.

Esteemed Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

@Alter Ego wrote:

@sandraskates wrote:

I am in California. There was a slim possibility of seeing them here earlier this year, but it didn't materialize.

Then, nevermind.  LOL  Smiley Happy  Clearly, Iceland is much farther.  In any case, sounds cold to me!  Have fun planning wherever you choose to go; sounds beautiful.  I think I'll add as one of my many lower tier bucket list item.

Respected Contributor

We drove up to Fairbanks this year.  There are web sites that tell you the best viewing.  There was also an International Ice Caring competition going on at the same time.

Valued Contributor

I live in Fairbanks, AK and often the Northern Lights can be seen. My husband will go out at 1a.m. to get good photos. While you don't always know if they will be visible, if it's a clear night there is a good chance to see them. 

If you are on FB, search on: Northern Lights Fairbanks for some great photos.