Esteemed Contributor

We are getting a break from the heat right now, but getting some of the remnants of hurricane Elsa. 

I'm so happy for this little bit of rain, just hoping it won't get humid anymore time soon.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset Enjoy your mild weather. Here in the western part of the USA, it was 115 degrees today. Tomorrow & Sunday, it's forecasted to be up to 117. Wish we had a little rain and a cool down.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, some posters mentioned there was no firework celebrations because of the heat.  We had some hot days.  What makes it worse is the heat index or something like that.  Where the humidity is just as high as the temperature.  Dry heat is not nearly as bad as sticky humid heat. 

Thanks @Desert Lily 

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset  115 degrees is our temperature without an index making it higher. 115 is extreme and dangerously hot whether it's humid or dry. If we had a little rain, it would cool down for a bit, but we're still in an Extraordinary Drought. More than 200 people died from the heat in the Northwest a couple weeks ago. I'm looking forward to fall weather.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

@gertrudecloset  115 degrees is our temperature without an index making it higher. 115 is extreme and dangerously hot whether it's humid or dry. If we had a little rain, it would cool down for a bit, but we're still in an Extraordinary Drought. More than 200 people died from the heat in the Northwest a couple weeks ago. I'm looking forward to fall weather.

I sure do hope you manage until you can get a break.  Be careful.  I can't wrap my brain around 115 degrees.  Be well @Desert Lily .  So sorry to hear about the deaths related to the heat too.  Many were elderly with no air conditioning.  Breaks my heart.

Honored Contributor

Us Boomers grew up without air conditioning.

I have always lived in Virginia.  Summers have always been hot.

There used to be more snow.  However, there have always been some summers that are hotter and Winters that are colder, etc.

It's not the hot temperatures that bother me....it's the humidity.  They don't always go hand and hand.

I have two very large dehumidifiers that are at both ends of my house.

The minute the buckets are full it starts to feel like a sauna in the living room.

Honored Contributor

The high temperatures and the humidity knock me for a loop as the saying goes.  I do not have any energy, my motivation to do anything is zero and I long for the cool weather.  I have said this before on these posts, this type of weather is not healthy for many.  I am glad to live in at an area where I do have seasons and I could never live in a place where it is hot all year around wherever that may be.  

I will not be sorry to see this hot humid rainy summer end.

Esteemed Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

The high temperatures and the humidity knock me for a loop as the saying goes.  I do not have any energy, my motivation to do anything is zero and I long for the cool weather.  I have said this before on these posts, this type of weather is not healthy for many.  I am glad to live in at an area where I do have seasons and I could never live in a place where it is hot all year around wherever that may be.  

I will not be sorry to see this hot humid rainy summer end.

Same here.  I feel like a limp rag doll.  I guess that's why they warn about being out in that kind of weather.  Taking precautions and trying to stay inside.

When I was still working I felt sorry for men who had to suit up.  Of course, they were fine in the office, but geez @spiderw 

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Us Boomers grew up without air conditioning.

I have always lived in Virginia.  Summers have always been hot.

There used to be more snow.  However, there have always been some summers that are hotter and Winters that are colder, etc.

It's not the hot temperatures that bother me....it's the humidity.  They don't always go hand and hand.

I have two very large dehumidifiers that are at both ends of my house.

The minute the buckets are full it starts to feel like a sauna in the living room.

@Annabellethecat66  My parents are from Virginia and it is my second home.  I was born in New York though.  Southern ways, and southern hospitality I got from my parents. 

I remember the hot nights as a little girl, when we'd go down to visit other relatives who hadn't bothered to come up North.  I have fond memories of my childhood with my dad and aunties.  Yes it was hot.  It still is, but when you're a kid you don't mind it so much maybe.  I'm a woman of a particular age where the heat exascerbates that phase us women must go through.  Whewwwww.....

Esteemed Contributor

Enjoy the cool where you can find it.  Right now it's not even 5:30 in the morning and it's 93 degrees.