Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@hckynut

There's an old and proven saying: Know your enemy.  

The documentary being discussed shows what the citizens of North Korea are taught, what they think and how they live.  Knowledge is power.

@Noel7

I have read and also seen several documentaries on north korea. I know how it has, and still is, run by the same family of dictators. Don't know it all for sure, bit who does?

Have seen different journalists interview the people and what they do to even survive. They do as ordered and know only what they can see and what they are allowed to watch and are told. Just not interested in the opinions usually added before/during and after by some editorial shows. I don't think I need to tell you which ones I do not watch.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

It was a documentary.  Nothing political.  What you read was then, this is now.

Frankly, I can't understand choosing to be uninformed and proud of it.

Why would a person not watch  just because of the channel it is on ,that really seems wrong.

You really have to ask that?

All networks have an agenda. Some slant one way, some another. 

Many people choose to watch one slant or the other. A few will watch them all and form the most informed opinion they can from the mix. 

But I'm sure many here would question the content or delivery of this, had it been broadcast on Fox instead of CNN. 

Honored Contributor

How could anyone slant North Korea?

Honored Contributor

Re: North korea

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

How could anyone slant North Korea?

That's what I'm still trying to figure out. That because of their other various alleged agendas they somehow want to portray that things aren't so bad in North Korea after all? Or that things are far worse than they really are?

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Esteemed Contributor

I missed the report ... apparently I can buy it on my new Xfinity for $9.99.   Anyone know where I can get this free?

Honored Contributor

Pray for peace.  

Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

I missed the report ... apparently I can buy it on my new Xfinity for $9.99.   Anyone know where I can get this free?

@SoX

The documentary on. NK?  They will probably play it again.  There are interactions with people of different ages showing how controlled they are by the government.  Basically they have no contact with the outside world and are taught to hate America.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I must be missing something here, maybe because I didn't see the documentary.

For those who did, was there an identifiable bias that some seem to connect with CNN? From what I glean here, it sounded quite straightforward.

@suzyQ3

It was just straightforward.  The reporter and crew were allowed to go into areas that were previously off limits. (With strict rules and accompanied by DPRK officials.)

I'm puzzled too, by the people that keep bringing up "bias" though.

What is there to be biased about North Korea?  Why would anyone try or want to make it look better than it is?

The bias comes from the sources of information.  In a closed society the reporter will only gets what the government wants them to see, hear and know.  The truth may be very different. 

There is always a bias in anything that has human input.

Things like this have to be planned (scripted if you will), edited, and marketed. There is bound to be some bias based on the values, philosophies, and political views of those involved, regardless of how small it  may be.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, Noel  ... I've accessed it on On Demand ... can't record it, however.  It's free until 10/13.

Esteemed Contributor

It believe it will be rebroadcast Sunday night at 8 pm.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

What would CNN's motivation be to show bias about North Korea? Somehow they're actually pro North Korea? What is the evidence of that? Or is it just that they're biased in other matters so that automatically makes the doc biased?

I didn't see it, I don't have time to watch much tv. But I do enjoy documentaries, so I would watch them regardless of network or producer. Then I would use my own knowledge and ability to gather more information before I made a judgment. I like to keep an open mind and not close off any source of information.

I can answer your first question about what the motivation would be to air a biased documentary on NK. 

It would be political. 

I'm not saying this is fact or even my opinion, but if a news network wanted to show NK in even a very slight 'good light', by showing it's people being kind and polite and good etc. it could be laying the ground work for making an administration look bad, should they choose to take action against the regime.

If people don't think things like this are discussed, planned and executed by all major news agencies and the political powers that influence them, then I can't help the naivety.

But it does happen.