Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

Didn't watch it. And yeh I'm one who won't watch that channel. I quit watching when they went on and on for a solid month about a missing plane. When there was no new news they kept talking about it nonstop. It became clear to me they were no longer all about news. Ratings, ratings ratings. Those who are getting all wound up about people boycotting a channel surely if it was on another channel who's views you completely disagree with you would not have watched either. What does it matter?? Do we need to fight about every little thing??? 

@Lali1, yes, there is a channel I refuse to watch. But then, I wouldn't come here and pan one of its shows that I didn't watch.

The opening post was anything but divisive. Seems that came later from people weighing in on the channel that they don't watch. 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I must be missing something here, maybe because I didn't see the documentary.

For those who did, was there an identifiable bias that some seem to connect with CNN? From what I glean here, it sounded quite straightforward.

@suzyQ3

It was just straightforward.  The reporter and crew were allowed to go into areas that were previously off limits. (With strict rules and accompanied by DPRK officials.)

I'm puzzled too, by the people that keep bringing up "bias" though.

What is there to be biased about North Korea?  Why would anyone try or want to make it look better than it is?

The bias comes from the sources of information.  In a closed society the reporter will only gets what the government wants them to see, hear and know.  The truth may be very different. 

I don't think people are objecting to other people not wanting to watch a TV documentary (at least I hope not).  I think some people don't like the reasons why some people don't want to watch a TV documentary.  The reasons for not watching seem to be causing the tumult in this thread.

That is it for myself.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Re: North korea

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 This isn't a private forum so you'll never get only good comments on something like this. At least your topic is still open I've seen many closed before anyone even commented on them because someone didn't like it. I wasn't rude and I have seen rude on here. 

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 This isn't a private forum so you'll never get only good comments on something like this. At least your topic is still open I've seen many closed before anyone even commented on them because someone didn't like it. I wasn't rude and I have seen rude on here. 

@Lali1, I'm not the OP here.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

For any of you readers on this thread, one of the best books I ever read on NK is the following:

IMG_0190.JPG

Truly insightful.  

Respected Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

For any of you readers on this thread, one of the best books I ever read on NK is the following:

IMG_0190.JPG

Truly insightful.  

Many nuances and subtleties in the deatails, requires reading more than 1x.

Man Booker award and Pulitzer Prize winner.

If possible, check interviews w/Adam Johnson-very interesting on his observations of life in Pyongyang, and the street orphans.

btw-Women in Pyongyang all wear the 'approved' shades of lipstick.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

What would CNN's motivation be to show bias about North Korea? Somehow they're actually pro North Korea? What is the evidence of that? Or is it just that they're biased in other matters so that automatically makes the doc biased?

I didn't see it, I don't have time to watch much tv. But I do enjoy documentaries, so I would watch them regardless of network or producer. Then I would use my own knowledge and ability to gather more information before I made a judgment. I like to keep an open mind and not close off any source of information.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Valued Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

What would CNN's motivation be to show bias about North Korea? Somehow they're actually pro North Korea? What is the evidence of that? Or is it just that they're biased in other matters so that automatically makes the doc biased?

I didn't see it, I don't have time to watch much tv. But I do enjoy documentaries, so I would watch them regardless of network or producer. Then I would use my own knowledge and ability to gather more information before I made a judgment. I like to keep an open mind and not close off any source of information.

I don't think it's about the 'integrity' of the documentary. People boycott a channel to deprive them of viewers for ratings #s...no matter what the subject matter happens to be.

That's all it's about, you know?

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Did any one watch the special that aired on cnn,last night?

@goldensrbest

No. I have no interest in how they choose to give their opinions, especially on your title of this thread.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

There's an old and proven saying: Know your enemy.  

The documentary being discussed shows what the citizens of North Korea are taught, what they think and how they live.  Knowledge is power.

I agree with the 'know your enemy' philosophy, but anything they allow to be filmed or any people they allow to be interviewed, most likely is a cleaned up and censored version of the truth.

I haven't seen this, but would be very careful about the conclusions I draw from what I see, as I'm sure I won't be seeing the complete picture or the complete 'truth' of what happens there.

Honored Contributor

Re: North korea

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I agree with the 'know your enemy' philosophy, but anything they allow to be filmed or any people they allow to be interviewed, most likely is a cleaned up and censored version of the truth.

I haven't seen this, but would be very careful about the conclusions I draw from what I see, as I'm sure I won't be seeing the complete picture or the complete 'truth' of what happens there.

@Mominohio

I do not believe this is the complete truth.  Actually, I think it's the sanitized version and conditions are far worse than what was depicted.