Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

The US and the world have to deal with their leader.  The people have to deal with their leader to make any changes, which they obviously won't do.

I don't see how they could.

If you live in a totalitarian state like that, there is very little you can do, supposing that you want to.

Furthermore, if you have lived your entire life brainwashed, you don't know any different.  The public there can't really be blamed for what their dictators have done.

The North Korea situation is basically the result of a constant standoff with the US, coming out of a war originally really between the US and China.

It's an impossible situation.

The only entity that could make any difference, possibly, is China.  But they won't because a) they don't want the humanitarian catastrophe and b) they don't want the US on their doorstep, same as we wouldn't want Chinese forces massed along our Canadian border, for example.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Why would a person not watch  just because of the channel it is on ,that really seems wrong.

It isn't, what that network is doing however, is.  Any information about North Korea can be obtained through other venues.  Nobody is 'uninformed' either.

Esteemed Contributor

For those who think it may have been biased, it wasn't. The interviewer has been to N Korea several times before. He talked nice to everyone and narratored it, (And people translated as they spoke no English) and showed their side and just made comments that he cant go to certain areas but this time they let them in some of those formerly forbidden areas. And he said why they march their military, showed the border how they patrol, visited a couple, talked to kids,  showed scenery, etc. etc. He wasnt mocking them.

The interviewer even said at the end, something about we are all different, (us vs them) but he likes to believe we all want the same things in life and then listed them, like to be happy etc. (Cant remember his exact words but he was kind to everyone, and they were all kind to him). But he made sure to point out things that are different over there and here. It was only an hour long and well I found it very interesting. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Ken burns , did not do the cnn story on their station,we are speaking of cnn,ken burns is on pbs.

Spoiler
Smiley Indifferent
When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I must be missing something here, maybe because I didn't see the documentary.

For those who did, was there an identifiable bias that some seem to connect with CNN? From what I glean here, it sounded quite straightforward.

@suzyQ3

It was just straightforward.  The reporter and crew were allowed to go into areas that were previously off limits. (With strict rules and accompanied by DPRK officials.)

I'm puzzled too, by the people that keep bringing up "bias" though.

What is there to be biased about North Korea?  Why would anyone try or want to make it look better than it is?

The bias comes from the sources of information.  In a closed society the reporter will only gets what the government wants them to see, hear and know.  The truth may be very different. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

For those who did, was there an identifiable bias that some seem to connect with CNN? From what I glean here, it sounded quite straightforward.

@suzyQ3

It was just straightforward.  The reporter and crew were allowed to go into areas that were previously off limits. (With strict rules and accompanied by DPRK officials.)

What is there to be biased about North Korea?  Why would anyone try or want to make it look better than it is?

The bias comes from the sources of information.  In a closed society the reporter will only gets what the government wants them to see, hear and know.  The truth may be very different. 

I don't think people are objecting to other people not wanting to watch a TV documentary (at least I hope not).  I think some people don't like the reasons why some people don't want to watch a TV documentary.  The reasons for not watching seem to be causing the tumult in this thread.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3

I don't think people are objecting to other people not wanting to watch a TV documentary (at least I hope not).  I think some people don't like the reasons why some people don't want to watch a TV documentary.  The reasons for not watching seem to be causing the tumult in this thread.

@stuyvesant  @goldensrbest  @CrazyDaisy

Isn't that the whole point really?  People SHOULD be selective about the sources they choose to believe.  That is the difference in us and North Korea.  They have no choice.  Whatever you may think of another person's choice of news source, what to believe, or how we think, WHEN THE DAY COMES WHEN WE ALL THINK ALIKE, WE WILL NO LONGER BE THE USA.

So instead of getting mad for what stations someone won't watch, who they listen to, or why they feel differently than you do, thank your lucky stars for them because diversity is what makes us strong.  When we can't listen to, learn from, and accept one another's other views and needs, that's when we become like North Korea.  That's when we cease to work together to listen, understand, and move forward as a country united under one flag and at liberty for all, so to speak.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3

@stuyvesant  @goldensrbest  @CrazyDaisy

Isn't that the whole point really?  People SHOULD be selective about the sources they choose to believe.  That is the difference in us and North Korea.  They have no choice.  Whatever you may think of another person's choice of news source, what to believe, or how we think, WHEN THE DAY COMES WHEN WE ALL THINK ALIKE, WE WILL NO LONGER BE THE USA.

So instead of getting mad for what stations someone won't watch, who they listen to, or why they feel differently than you do, thank your lucky stars for them because diversity is what makes us strong.  When we can't listen to, learn from, and accept one another's other views and needs, that's when we become like North Korea.  That's when we cease to work together to listen, understand, and move forward as a country united under one flag and at liberty for all, so to speak.

If it was Game of Thrones, and somebody said they hated Cersei, nobody would blink,  If somebody said, I won't watch that show because it's overhyped, people could deal with it.  I really don't get the outrage over some people not wanting to watch a documentary.  There are a ton of channels, all competing.

Honored Contributor

Watch CNN, don't watch CNN -- your choice of course.

But then don't insinuate that the doc was biased or selective in any way. You didn't watch it; remember?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Didn't watch it. And yeh I'm one who won't watch that channel. I quit watching when they went on and on for a solid month about a missing plane. When there was no new news they kept talking about it nonstop. It became clear to me they were no longer all about news. Ratings, ratings ratings. Those who are getting all wound up about people boycotting a channel surely if it was on another channel who's views you completely disagree with you would not have watched either. What does it matter?? Do we need to fight about every little thing???