Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@hckynut

There's an old and proven saying: Know your enemy.  

The documentary being discussed shows what the citizens of North Korea are taught, what they think and how they live.  Knowledge is power.

@Noel7

I have read and also seen several documentaries on north korea. I know how it has, and still is, run by the same family of dictators. Don't know it all for sure, bit who does?

Have seen different journalists interview the people and what they do to even survive. They do as ordered and know only what they can see and what they are allowed to watch and are told. Just not interested in the opinions usually added before/during and after by some editorial shows. I don't think I need to tell you which ones I do not watch.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  In junior high school, my friends and I would call one another and watch tv together on the phone.  We'd laugh or make a comment if something struck us, but otherwise we'd just not say anything.  Pretty funny now looking back on it.

So I guess you and I can NOT call one another and NOT watch shows together!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

As far as informed vs. uninformed, there is so much available these days one has to pick and choose what they spend time reading, watching or listening to.  You can't watch everything.

I am sure we are informed on very different subjects and from very different news or information sources.  There is a lot more to learn from than just the news also. And thousands of topics to explore.

Honored Contributor

I must be missing something here, maybe because I didn't see the documentary.

For those who did, was there an identifiable bias that some seem to connect with CNN? From what I glean here, it sounded quite straightforward.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

For those who did, was there an identifiable bias that some seem to connect with CNN? From what I glean here, it sounded quite straightforward.

@suzyQ3

The people complaining apparently never saw it because they boycott CNN.   

I didn't see or hear any political commentary.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3

I don't boycott CNN, but I don't think many of their stories are without a bias.  I do watch sometimes however.  

I did not watch the Viet Nam special simply because I lived in that era, I have read many books about it and many books about ALL the presidents since and including FDR and also bios and auto bios of all the first ladies starting with ER .  I have read biographies, autobiographies, and political examinations of many presidents--both parties, doesn't matter.  I have been fortunate to hear many of the authors in person.

Not interested in the Hamilton play.  I read the book as soon as it was released.

Any president is interesting to me, and I am far more dispassionate about them than most of you would think because you judge me for some of my likes and dislikes.  

So having read so very much material about the Viet Nam era, I didn't think I would learn much new from the CNN special.  It is also a painful era I don't really care to revisit at the moment.  

So, does that change anyone's mind about why some people chose not to watch?  I would hope so.  People don't deserve nasty remarks for not watching a tv show. 

Contributor

Re: North korea

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3

I don't boycott CNN, but I don't think many of their stories are without a bias.  I do watch sometimes however.  

I did not watch the Viet Nam special simply because I lived in that era, I have read many books about it and many books about ALL the presidents since and including FDR and also bios and auto bios of all the first ladies starting with ER .  I have read biographies, autobiographies, and political examinations of many presidents--both parties, doesn't matter.  I have been fortunate to hear many of the authors in person.

Not interested in the Hamilton play.  I read the book as soon as it was released.

Any president is interesting to me, and I am far more dispassionate about them than most of you would think because you judge me for some of my likes and dislikes.  

So having read so very much material about the Viet Nam era, I didn't think I would learn much new from the CNN special.  It is also a painful era I don't really care to revisit at the moment.  

So, does that change anyone's mind about why some people chose not to watch?  I would hope so.  People don't deserve nasty remarks for not watching a tv show. 

@Sooner, the new Vietnam series are PBS, not CNN. (10 episodes most haven't aired yet)

Honored Contributor

Re: North korea

[ Edited ]

@phindell82 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3

@Sooner, the new Vietnam series are PBS, not CNN. (10 episodes most haven't aired yet)

@phindell82 @Noel7  SORRY!  I CAN'T TALK ON THE PHONE AND TYPE ANY MORE.  DUH.  

I have had a busy and stressful day and it shows doesn't it?  THANKS for pointing that out!  Yikes! 

Esteemed Contributor

If you saw Ken Burns' Civil War documentary, you know how good he is at exploring the essence  of war and the horrible aftermath. I trust his research. He's not an employee of CNN. He's a historian and documentarian.

Respected Contributor

@QP Doll wrote:

If they hate the US so much, why was that kid wearing a Portland Trailblazer shirt?  It had to have come from their buddy Dennis Rodman!

Dennis Rodman never played for the Blazers.

The reporter asked him about the shirt.  The kid said he had no idea what PORTLAND meant.

As has always been the case, even though politically countries have been at odds with us, US culture permeates everywhere.

I traveled through many former Warsaw Pact countries when I was in high school and college.  

I was always struck by the amount of American things I found there, how much the people knew about American culture (music, tv, movies, etc) and how much they actually liked it.

So, they can still hate the US, but love our culture.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3

It was just straightforward.  The reporter and crew were allowed to go into areas that were previously off limits. (With strict rules and accompanied by DPRK officials.)

I'm puzzled too, by the people that keep bringing up "bias" though.

What is there to be biased about North Korea?  Why would anyone try or want to make it look better than it is?

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero