Honored Contributor

@OfCourse wrote:

I've heard in reports over the years that North Koreans don't always have enough to eat.  Did CNN's report discuss that?

@OfCourse

Recently Putin said the North Koreans will eat grass so the country can afford nuclear weapons.

I seldom believe or agree with Putin but this doesn't seem far from the truth. 

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Free2be wrote:

The panorama of the large city was astoundingly beautiful, so many colors, so very perfectly manicured.  The show did a good job of showing how the people live in a tightly controlled bubble and believe whatever they are told.  Leadership, deceased and current, are their heaven sent gods.  If they should harbor any secret doubt, they could never express it. They'll do whatever they are told to do.

A few have escaped into China and on to Viet Nam, very difficult to do without being apprehended and sent back to a probable death sentence.  Once they are able to get outside information, they know they had been lied to about the outside world.

The most interesting aspect was the sheer lack of doubt and being satisfied to accept what they are told is true. 

That sounds familiar.

Chillingly so.

Honored Contributor

Re: North korea

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@hckynut

There's an old and proven saying: Know your enemy.  

The documentary being discussed shows what the citizens of North Korea are taught, what they think and how they live.  Knowledge is power.

@Noel7

I have read and also seen several documentaries on north korea. I know how it has, and still is, run by the same family of dictators. Don't know it all for sure, bit who does?

Have seen different journalists interview the people and what they do to even survive. They do as ordered and know only what they can see and what they are allowed to watch and are told. Just not interested in the opinions usually added before/during and after by some editorial shows. I don't think I need to tell you which ones I do not watch.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

It was a documentary.  Nothing political.  What you read was then, this is now.

Frankly, I can't understand choosing to be uninformed and proud of it.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@hckynut

There's an old and proven saying: Know your enemy.  

The documentary being discussed shows what the citizens of North Korea are taught, what they think and how they live.  Knowledge is power.

@Noel7

I have read and also seen several documentaries on north korea. I know how it has, and still is, run by the same family of dictators. Don't know it all for sure, bit who does?

Have seen different journalists interview the people and what they do to even survive. They do as ordered and know only what they can see and what they are allowed to watch and are told. Just not interested in the opinions usually added before/during and after by some editorial shows. I don't think I need to tell you which ones I do not watch.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

It was a documentary.  Nothing political.  What you read was then, this is now.

Frankly, I can't understand choosing to be uninformed and proud of it.

Why would a person not watch  just because of the channel it is on ,that really seems wrong.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

NoKo @goldensrbest is the most repressive country on earth. What occurs there makes Iran look like a paradise. 200,000+ people, including children and multi generations of the same family are interred under the worst conditions in NoKo gulags.

Of course the people  'look' happy. Anyone interviwed or those who come in contact w/foreigners are heavily vetted.

Even those who come in contact w/Americans (and heaven knows why an American would want to go there since we have no diplomatic relations for a very good reason) are then placed in re-education camps before returning to general population.

The people have been starved for 3 generations and are actually shrinking in size due to the long term starvation (not malnutrition-starvation).

Ironic that Kim Jong Un is morbidly obese.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7

If you read my last post as "uninformed"?  Hopefully others that read it do not.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Noel7

If you read my last post as "uninformed"?  Hopefully others that read it do not.

hckynut(john)

Not everybody has to base their world views on a television documentary.  I thought you had a very adequate response to a TV show. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

It was mentioned that durning the past ,there was no food  they had to eat bark off of trees, i noticed there were no dogs ,that drives me up the wall what they do to dogs.

@goldensrbest Dogs and cats are bred for food. You dont find housepets in a starving population.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC inappropriate

Esteemed Contributor

Re: North korea

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@Noel7

hckynut(john)

Most people did not view your post as uninformed.  A documentary can have a bias just like every other show, movie, book etc.  When talking about a closed society it becomes very difficult to identify fact from what they want you to know.   

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.