Valued Contributor

I did not see the program.  I feel for the people of North Korea they live with severe oppression, it's hard to even imagine that this goes on.  They aren't allowed information beyond what is sanctioned by their leader.  There is a group of North Korean defectors in South Korea that smuggle information into the country on usb flash drives.  In our country there is a group with a program called "Flash Drives For Freedom" found easily with a google search.  People donate old flash drives that they erase and fill with information from the outside world.  

libby's folly
Esteemed Contributor

I pray that the ones who attempt to leave  are successful.  I also pray for the people who have no way to leave, that they will one day know a world in which they have the freedom to live as free people.  God Bless the innocent people of North Korea.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Did any one watch the special that aired on cnn,last night?

No, I can't support CNN however I did watch a PBS special and some snippets on Reuters.

Honored Contributor

@QP Doll wrote:

If they hate the US so much, why was that kid wearing a Portland Trailblazer shirt?  It had to have come from their buddy Dennis Rodman!

because "the hate" is an exaggeration. with some countries you need to separate the government from the human factor. it isnt always cut and dried.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Re: North korea

[ Edited ]

I watched it and I found it interesting but sad, and it made me even more thankful that I live in America,

What I noticed, while they were friendly to the reporter you could tell they cant say certain things. Such as when asked if they believe what they hear from their government they made sure not to say anything negative.

Everyone did look happy and were nice to the interviewer, but the kids playing video games said they were shooting (or would shoot) Americans. Its obvious they are  told we are terrible people.

One thing I found odd, I saw no handicapped people with wheel chairs or canes or anything. Do they hide them? Punish them?  Just a coincidence? Unknown.

I also noticed everyone was very thin (of course they eat very little but what they showed they ate, well it looked healthy as in home grown) But their leader Kim is heavy set, while their government is known to starve their people.

Also they make 4 dollars a day but when they went in the cellphone store the phones are 300. How do you buy a phone on 4 a day? And the mall was packed with shoppers, on 4 dollars a day earnings?

For sure we only saw what North Korea wanted to show (a lot probably staged). For sure they are brainwashed because even on their cells they have zero access to the Internet with world wide news. All the news comes from the government.

Most of all I found it sad that they act like their leader is God like when we all know that's far from true.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@Shorty2UThe cell phone store  part really was just not believable at all.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

The panorama of the large city was astoundingly beautiful, so many colors, so very perfectly manicured.  The show did a good job of showing how the people live in a tightly controlled bubble and believe whatever they are told.  Leadership, deceased and current, are their heaven sent gods.  If they should harbor any secret doubt, they could never express it. They'll do whatever they are told to do.

A few have escaped into China and on to Viet Nam, very difficult to do without being apprehended and sent back to a probable death sentence.  Once they are able to get outside information, they know they had been lied to about the outside world.

The most interesting aspect was the sheer lack of doubt and being satisfied to accept what they are told is true. 

That sounds familiar.

Honored Contributor

The US and the world have to deal with their leader.  The people have to deal with their leader to make any changes, which they obviously won't do.

Honored Contributor

How is this thread not considered somewhat political and others are poofed after 1 post?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

How is this thread not considered somewhat political and others are poofed after 1 post?

Why would it be political? Must say yet again i don't understand this line of thought.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.