Esteemed Contributor

Re: Normandy / 75th D-Day Commemoration 2019

@ms traditional 

My heart ached watching the ceremonies this morning.  I found myself sobbing and thinking of my father.  

While he was not in this invasion, he served in the Merchant Marines, and was proud of his service.

He is resting in peace in Cheltenham Cemetery here in Maryland and my mother is resting there with him.

We can never thank them enough for what they did to keep our country free.

Respected Contributor

storming the beach

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@ms traditional 

My heart ached watching the ceremonies this morning.  I found myself sobbing and thinking of my father.  

While he was not in this invasion, he served in the Merchant Marines, and was proud of his service.

He is resting in peace in Cheltenham Cemetery here in Maryland and my mother is resting there with him.

We can never thank them enough for what they did to keep our country free.

Amen @Witchy Woman   our hearts are full of gratitude, pride and sorrow all at once.

Honored Contributor

My uncle's father-in-law died there.

Respected Contributor

@Ketra It has NOT been taken out of curriculum. My 8 year old grandson can tell you all about it. So can his cousins who attend a totally different school system.
Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:
@KetraIt has NOT been taken out of curriculum. My 8 year old grandson can tell you all about it. So can his cousins who attend a totally different school system.

@bathina.  Taken out of schools? Don’t know what schools don’t teach it, but I know ours do and always have. Never heard of not being taught in schools.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am privileged to have had nine uncles serve during World War II (from both sides of the family). 

Only two times did I hear any reference to their wartime experience.  Both statements came from others: One explained why my dentist uncle was so rough on us -- he was an Army dentist.  The other comment was that the other uncle, an engineer stationed in the South Pacific, drew up attack plans.  Otherwise, all of these brave warriors were modest about and held private their sacrifice. 

Of course I am grateful for their sacrifice.

Respected Contributor

the only time i heard my father talk of his service during WWII was when he told of going to look for his brother (Daddy was Army and his brother was a Marine) after the Battle of Saipan in the Pacific.  he was searching among the dead; there were massive U S casualties (more than 50,000 U S dead)   -   and found him alive !!  

every time he spoke of it he could not hold back the tears. they both felt so verrrrry lucky to have survived that battle.

it makes me weep today.

Honored Contributor

DON'T FORGET THE MANY WOMEN IN UNIFORM AT THE TIME!  WACS, WAACS, WAVES, and others! 

Honored Contributor

Sooner mentioned not to forget the women who were also fighting for democracy.  This made me think of one special woman I was privileged to know through my employment with the Federal Aviation Administration.

Her name was the puzzling but mythical-sounding Velta Benn.  She had been  a WASP during World War II, and, later in life, she worked as an FAA designee (inspector), working into her early 90s.  Yeah.  She was one tough cookie.  On occasion, she would visit the office.  What a presence -- a thin, wiry and feisty woman.  I was in complete awe of her.  Here's an appreciation of her.

https://waspfinalflight.blogspot.com/2010/12/velta-haney-benn-44-7-dec-1-2010.html

Velta Benn on the left

Image result for photo of velta benn