Esteemed Contributor

Nordstrom closing Northgate mall store this summer

Northgate mall in the north end of Seattle, WA is undergoing a massive property renovation and as a sign of the times, the anchor department stores are leaving or have left. Nordstrom will be closing their Northgate store in August. 

The Macy's store in the Northgate mall will be closing in July and the J.C. Penny's store has already closed.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/macys-now-plans-to-close-northgate-store-this-summer-not-2020/

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/retail/nordstrom-to-shutter-its-storied-northgate-store-in-aug...

It really is a sign of the times when one of the biggest malls in Washington state right off the I-5 interstate in north Seattle has lost so many shoppers that it's be redeveloped into a business and housing development as people shop online more and more and desert bricks and mortar malls and stores. Land and housing is expensive in the Pacific Northwest so it must make a lot of economic sense to redevelop dying malls into other uses.

I also see that quite a bit up here in Canada in the greater Vancouver, B.C. suburbs as malls along the transit lines are also be redeveloped into high rises and business centres.

Honored Contributor

Re: Nordstrom closing Northgate mall store this summer

I believe they have had some problems with crime there also.  That is probably keeping some people away.  I live across the lake from Seattle and our malls are still going strong.  

Honored Contributor

That is really sad.  I  know the closest Nordstrom to me is about 12 miles and is constantly busy.  It is also in a mall (outside type) but I have seen I. Magnin close and leave, Bloomingdale Home and other little food businesses but everything was replaced.  More and more people will end up shopping by Internet.  I do all my shopping by Internet now due to medical issues.  I read on the Internet yesterday the comment "Are you ready for the next Recession?"

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

I'm shocked really. Guess it's the crime as mentioned it's a very nice mall. I rarely go there sense I live within 1 1/2 miles from Alderwood Mall which is very nice sense the remodel 10 years back I guess.
Honored Contributor

We have had several high-end malls close and it has been attributed to crime, not internet shopping. I also do most of my shopping online, but we still need brick and mortar stores. 

Trusted Contributor

I hated to hear about this too. Just more and more of our choices are being taken away from us. And I feel bad for all the employees too. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it depends in what part of the country you live in and location of these malls...because we have 3 malls and 2 gigantic shopping centers that are booming, always packed!!....In fact they have had to re-route traffic to another entrance at one shopping center because it backs up traffic on the freeway as people wait in long lines to even get into the center....

There's some other malls not doing so well...in one mall they turned the lower level into offices, and added a flea mart in one corner....And the fancy mall downtown a few of the stores have closed...but I think the reason is locals go downtown for Special Events and to eat at unique restaurants along the Riverwalk, but not to shop, and tourists want to do other things than shop in the same stores they have back home...There's another mall one on the outskirts of town, dont know how its fairing...seldom go there..

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@speedy girl wrote:

I hated to hear about this too. Just more and more of our choices are being taken away from us. And I feel bad for all the employees too. 

@speedy girl 

And less options mean higher prices too...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live close to the Northgate Mall. It takes me about 5 minutes to drive there. The Mall is not as big as Alderwood or Westfield Center, and the property is limited for expansion. I don't see or hear about that much crime there. In fact, there are other areas of the city where crime is much higher. I'd like to know WHO attributed this closure to crime, as I don't believe that's the reason. I do think online buying has certainly affected sales at brick and mortar stores. It IS a sign of the times, and that is bound to happen no matter what decade is involved. That being said, I usually  see lots of people there. Maybe they are looking and not buying. The hockey training facility that is going in where Macy's and other stores on the east side are located could be part of the decision for Nordstrom to close there. Other Macy's and Nordstrom stores around the city are staying open. The sad thing is Northgate was the first mall in Washington state, opening in 1950, and it is the second mall in the whole country. It was THE first suburban mall in the U.S. Ironically, it is no longer considered suburban. I wish they had played on that and made it more attractive to shoppers, but they didn't.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I go to Alderwood and Belle Square stores. Always thought Northgate got a little iffy in the last few years, but am wondring if and when the new ice arena is built, things will straighten out. I live in woodinville. I order alot online from Nordies--free shipping and returns there. that is a huge draw for me.