Valued Contributor

Re: Nordstrom closing Northgate mall store this summer

@Spurt, Lucky you I love the Riverwalk have been there twice and one of the best trips I have ever taken!!!

Honored Contributor

@ripka junkie wrote:

@Spurt, Lucky you I love the Riverwalk have been there twice and one of the best trips I have ever taken!!!

@ripka junkie 

Glad to hear you enjoyed it..Woman Very Happy...I personally love it at Christmas time

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

I live close to the Northgate Mall. It takes me about 5 minutes to drive there. The Mall is not as big as Alderwood or Westfield Center, and the property is limited for expansion. I don't see or hear about that much crime there. In fact, there are other areas of the city where crime is much higher. I'd like to know WHO attributed this closure to crime, as I don't believe that's the reason. I do think online buying has certainly affected sales at brick and mortar stores. It IS a sign of the times, and that is bound to happen no matter what decade is involved. That being said, I usually  see lots of people there. Maybe they are looking and not buying. The hockey training facility that is going in where Macy's and other stores on the east side are located could be part of the decision for Nordstrom to close there. Other Macy's and Nordstrom stores around the city are staying open. The sad thing is Northgate was the first mall in Washington state, opening in 1950, and it is the second mall in the whole country. It was THE first suburban mall in the U.S. Ironically, it is no longer considered suburban. I wish they had played on that and made it more attractive to shoppers, but they didn't.

@RainCityWoman 

But yet the TJMaxx Cos saw a 7% increase in sales which they attribute to in store traffic......and they appeal to all age groups...even traditional millenial online shoppers.  Their Execs are smart and know what brings shoppers ino stores....Meanwhile some retailers aren't changing, or have no clue what changes are needed in this new retail climate.. And if Amazon is now opening cashierless B & M stores ....I don't think B&M stores are totally dead if Amazon is going this route...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@TY wrote:

Northgate mall in the north end of Seattle, WA is undergoing a massive property renovation and as a sign of the times, the anchor department stores are leaving or have left. Nordstrom will be closing their Northgate store in August. 

The Macy's store in the Northgate mall will be closing in July and the J.C. Penny's store has already closed.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/macys-now-plans-to-close-northgate-store-this-summer-not-2020/

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/retail/nordstrom-to-shutter-its-storied-northgate-store-in-aug...

It really is a sign of the times when one of the biggest malls in Washington state right off the I-5 interstate in north Seattle has lost so many shoppers that it's be redeveloped into a business and housing development as people shop online more and more and desert bricks and mortar malls and stores. Land and housing is expensive in the Pacific Northwest so it must make a lot of economic sense to redevelop dying malls into other uses.

I also see that quite a bit up here in Canada in the greater Vancouver, B.C. suburbs as malls along the transit lines are also be redeveloped into high rises and business centres.

------------------------------------

All else aside, if you're in the Vancouver. BC area, you're in an incredibly beautiful city!

I'm in Spokane, I need to get up for a visit, again, soon!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@speedy girl wrote:

I hated to hear about this too. Just more and more of our choices are being taken away from us. And I feel bad for all the employees too. 

@speedy girl 

And less options mean higher prices too...

Nothing is being taken away from us, "we" are the cause of closures because we shop QVC, HSN, Evine, Walmart on line etc and of course Amazon rather than go to B&M stores and the malls to shop. On line shopping is wonderful for those with limited mobility, health issues etc.  it also leads to less social interaction.  Crime in some areas is a cause also.  When it's not safe to go to a mall, especially at night, we look for alternatives.  

No question, it is a sad state of affairs in my humble opinion.

Frequent Contributor

I live fairly close to two Nordstrom's in Massachusetts.  I have read that their sales are down, although, I think the Rack stores are doing fairly well.  I have also heard Lord & Taylor is in trouble and may be leaving one of our major malls.  Tough time for retailers.  

It seems that some Mall's are going out in favor of an open air concept of shopping.  We have one near me and another opening up within the next 1/2 year.  It seems people are looking for a shopping experience and dislike Malls more and more.  Many malls around here have gone very High End.  Constantly stores coming and going.